will dirt bike bars work ok? I need Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will dirt bike bars work ok? I need Opinions

I have found a pair of ANSWER racing bars really cheap. I now have a K&N flat bar with about 2" pullback. These look about the same but with about a 2" rise also. The bend is KX LO. I think it may be more comfortable. But will all my controls fit? Are there any drawbacks to using Dirtbike bars. Are they lighter? They have a cross bar like a BMX bike bars. I need some opinions.

First of all the outside diameter has to be the same. Second, some bikes don't have much extra slack in the cables and wiring harness, so be carefull of that if the bars are wider or higher. And third, in my opinion,the crosshatch cut into the bars to help them stay tight in the bar clamps must reasonably line up with the bar clamps. As for them being dirt bike bars, I don't think they would be significantly weaker than street bars.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I wouldn't think they'd be weaker at all than street bars, quite the reverse. MX bikes take a hack of a pounding. A lot of MX bars seem to be W-I-D-E, could be a point of discomfort, as well as the aforementioned cable slack observation.

Comment

I've got some mx bars that I would like to try on, I just need to get some fork caps without the spring preload adjuster. The cable slack is what worries me too, mostly the cable that goes to the carbs, it's tight as it is with the stock bars.

I'll post my success/failure story as soon as I have those fork caps.

Comment

They should be lots stronger than street bars, if that makes any difference. The handgrips portion of all bars - dirt or street - are the same diameter - at least all that I am familiar with.

On some dirt bike bars, they are fatter on the mount to the triples. If you have a crossbar on them, they should be the same diameter on this portion as you old bars.

As was stated above, cable length would be my only concern.

Comment

Working...
          X