Motorcycle Tire Planet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle Tire Planet

Anybody have any experiernce with Motorcycle Tire Planet website tire store? Seems to be by far the best price for a Metzler ME55 for my bike. Seems to be realted to Motorcycle Specalities in Ohio.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

All metzlers are bought from parts unlimited. They have sole US rights. When buying a metzler it just depends how much they want to resale it for I guess.

Comment

Thanks Chris,
      I looked into Parts Unlimited, they are in Wisconson, seems to be a distributer - no direct public sales - sell to dealers only. You say Parts Unlimited has "sole US rights" with Metzler.
      I would like to understand this better. Are you saying that anybody in US that sells Metzler Tires has to get them thru Parts Unlimited?
      Local dealer said price was $160something (retail minus 10% he said), a few other mail order places quoted $125 to $140. This Motorcycle Tire Planet (in Ohio) is $102. When I asked if it was "in-stock", they said "it will ship in one to two days".
      I generally like to support the local dealer, so they are there when I need them, but dont want to pay an extra 50-60% either.
      DAVE "REDMAN"

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Tires are one thing most dealers don't even come close to on price. Parts Unlimited is a huge wharehouse that dealers and independent cycle shops order from for a wide range of parts. I order most of my stuff thru a small local independent shop. Most of these type of shops will work with you on price, and do not charge for shipping. My recent tire purchase thru them was very close in price to the best deal I was able to find on the web incl shipping. I have not been impressed with many dealers over the past few years-they just want to sell new bikes. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Yes parts unlimited is a wholesale to dealers only. They do have the sole exclusive US rights to metzler tires. Another instance on something like this that comes to mind is Akrapovic exhaust systems...Lockhart Phillips had sole US rights to those. If a place like you mentioned does not have it they are having it drop shipped from parts unlimited. Thats why I said it just depends on how much the retailer wants to sell it for. As far as I know all other motorcycle tires are not like that. I have a great source for motorcycle tires(dealer only) that I have gotten tires from for years. Metzler is the only brand that they do not carry because of the politics involved. I`m sorry I was not very clear the first time.

Comment

Hey Chris and others, thanks for reply/information.

I did order the tire from Motorcycle Tire Planet. Yah, what you guys were says is consistint with what I observed.

My order status was "processing" for 3 days, "in packaging" for a day, and then "shipped" and I recieved it overnight (SE Ohio to west Mich). So the 3 days of "processing" was probably them getting it from the suppier.

And the stickers on it told the story too, there was a Metzler sticker on tire, covered with a Parts Unlimited part number sticker, covered with the Motcykl Tire Planet sticker.

Thanks Again.

Comment

Arrgghh!!! If you buy tires and you actually want them delivered in a timely fashion, avoid Motorcycle Tire Planet at all costs!!! I ordered two Pirelli sport demons for my GS1100E back on September 2nd. They promise delivery within 3-5 business days. After checking their website for order status with the tracking number they give you and seeing "your order is being processed and will ship shortly" for a week, I called them. The vague answer I received was "they're back ordered from the manufacturer, but you should have them sometime next week". Did I mention that I called after emailing them twice via their "help" email and not getting any response?

So, I figured I could be patient for another week and give them the benefit of the doubt. A week later, still nothing. I call on Wednesday the 17th and talk to an operator who doesn't know what's going on, but tells me she'll have someone from customer service call me back. No call back that day. I call the following morning, and get the same response - they'll call you back. Again, no call comes. I then send off another email to them, this one not so friendly. Friday morning I call again. This time, I get a different operator who has somewhat of a clue. He tells me the same thing about the tires being backordered from Pirelli. I told him at this point, either substitute the Pirellis with something else that you actually have in stock, or cancel my order altogether. I ask him if they have Bridgestone BT45s in stock and he says yes, they're the same price, I'll rush the order through and they'll ship today or first thing Monday. Ok, fine, now I'm satisfied - or so I thought....

The tires actually shipped Tuesday. I found that out because I had to call them yet again (via their non-toll free number, because the toll free one has a constant busy signal). They said I'd have them in 2 business days. Now it's cutting it close, because I wanted the tires in time to get my bike ready for a big group ride I'm going on this weekend, but it's not impossible because I had planned on taking Friday off to take care of everything and get to the DMV to register the bike. Well, guess what - I get a package from UPS today....with one freaking tire in it!! I called them back - apparently, they had to get the rear tire from a different supplier and it won't get shipped until Monday!!! Did they bother to tell me that, either via phone or email? NO, OF COURSE NOT! So now I'm screwed for taking my new bike on the trip.

Let's recap - I place an order on the 2nd. Now it's the 25th and I only have one tire. 23 f**king days later, and I still don't have both of the tires I ordered! I wouldn't be half as *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed if they at least had the decency to inform me of why my order was delayed, or at least had the courtesy to return my phone calls and emails. They have absolutely zero concept of what customer service is. I will NEVER buy another thing from Motorcycle Tire Planet or their parent company Motorcycle Specialties ever again - and I'd advise anyone to think twice before doing the same.

Comment

LOL skytzo looks like your wish came true THERE GONE! Atleast both the websites are anyways

Comment

Tires

I bought my Metzlers from Dennis Kirk, I ordered them on the Saturday, They were here Tuesday afternoon. ME33 and ME 88.

Comment

Working...
                  X