Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna 3 Setup on 1978 GS550

Gang

I installed a Dyna 3 on my 550 some weeks back. It runs great, no problems but....

In order to get the idle and advance timing marks aligned I had to rotate BOTH the backing plate and the pickups fully clockwise.. i.e. to the limit of each adjustment.

Is this normal? As I said, she runs just fine. but curious, I would have thought that it would have aligned more towards the middle of its adjustment range.

Thanks, Tim

Sorry I do not know the answer but I have a question for you. Is there a noticable performance increase with the Dyna 3? Better runnings? What items did it replace? I have a 77 550 and am looking to upgrade the electronics.......r/r and ignition. Maybe coils? hmmmmmmmmmm :?

Comment

The Dyna was very easy to install.. Simply because it replaces the points, and therefore the requirement to set gaps etc, I think it runs much better and pulls cleanly right up to max rpm.

I left everything else as is, including the r/r and coils. I think the performance is better, but have no empirical data to determine how much better !

Cheers,
      Tim

Comment

my 79 550 Dyna S conversion is complete...i'm 99% done with the carbs now, i just need one damn pilot screw and i can try to get things running again and tuned.

the Dyna S install, and new coils and wires, was cake. its a costly upgrade but its reputation is supposed to be the greatest.

why did you elect to go with a Dyna 3 instead of the Dyna S for your bike? just curious. the S goes in the same way, remove the old points cover, and unplug it, then just plug the S into the harness. I love how Dyna made it so easy...no cutting or splicing needed.

i can't wait to get this thing running again...its going to need tuning i'm sure (i've already raised needles and main jets) but its gonna be sweet!

~Adam

Comment

i really didn't answer your question...oops. i just put the plate about 'halfway' on the adjustment screws for right now. there is a static timing procedure which i haven't done yet...but i'll let you know how mine turns out after i get it timed.

~Adam

Comment

Adam

The III includes the electronic ignition unit which is supposed to raise the effeciency of the spark by allowing the coils to build max voltage ... or so says the marketing material !! ;-)

In any case, the 550 runs sweet. Good luck with the carbs !

Regards
            Tim

Comment

Working...
            X