Great 12 hour ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great 12 hour ride

I just recently purchased my GS1100ESD 1983, that bike certainly brings back a lot of memories from my days when I had my 82 GS110EZ and my 83 GS1100ED. They were the most comfortable traveling bikes I've ever had. So the last weekend of June I decided to take a trip to Yosemite National Park. The weather has been getting warm here in California so I figured I would leave LA at 3 in the morning. Got my cold weather pants on and off I go heading up highway 5 to the highway 14 east through Palmdale/Lancaster. I hit Palmdale about 3:45 am and I can feel the warmth of the desert I guess it's about 80 degrees that early in the morning. Mojave is a little breezy with about 15 to 25 mph cross winds, but that's not bad. I've been in worse! Start heading up 395 north toward Bishop, Calif. The road is pretty empty and it feels good just cruising at about 80-85 mph in the predawn. I haven't seen a single cop yet so far. The sun is just starting to come up on my right and it really highlights the mountain range on my left. No traffic, straight road can see for miles, what do you do? You open it up! I thought my saddlebags would affect the performance but the bike just kept pulling, damn it felt good! Look down at speedo, sitting at 130mph! Smooth as if it was on rails. Held that speed for about 3 miles before I hit the next town where you have to slow down to 35 or the cops nail ya. Stop for breakfast at Lone Pine about 2 hours south of Yosemite and about 45mins south of Bishop. It's about 7;30 am good food, town coming alive. Started thinking about Yosemite, being tourist season the 58 miles from 395 to the Yosemite Valley might probably take me about 3 hours to do. I have several choices, go through Death Valley at around noon with temperatures being in the 120's or head west over the Sierras toward the beach which is probably 250 miles. I decide to go back down 395 to Pearsonville and take the road to Kennedy Meadows which is a popular dirt bike riding area that I have heard about. Turn right off of 395 and start climbing from about 1000 feet up to 9000 ft, up from the desert floor to pine trees. Right now it is about 9:00 am and about 90 degrees at 9000ft. I stop take a few pictures in this gorgeous valley that is recovering from a fire about two years ago. Bright blue sky hot sun early morning what more could you ask for. Get back on bike, hit the start button and.....click, click, no start! Middle of nowhere, no town, no dealer! Lights look bright , turn signals work just fine, what the hell? Push start it , fires right up continue riding only about 90 miles to Kernville next major town. It really is beautiful up here lots of pine trees dirt roads everywhere, lots of campsites, bar and a general store. I think the climb up of 8000ft heated up the bike quite a bit cuz the oil temp was past 220 degrees.It's only about 85 miles to go and it was all down hill to Kernville, but the road was very tight and curvy with a lot of dirt in the middle of the corners. No problem take it slow and easy. Climbing down from 9000 ft was switchback after switchback, bike is still running great, light are not dimming. Finally get down to Kernville tons of people rafting down the Kern river , fishing, sunbathing, camping. Lots of people around so if the bike quits I'm sure I can catch a ride for me and bike with someone back to LA. Gas stop in Kernville now about 12:00 noon and about 101 degrees. Dam Hot! Good thing I had water. After gassing up bike starts right up no problem, cool, might make it home ok, only have about 150 miles to go to home. Start heading home around Lake Isabella through a fire that just was getting mopped up around the lake. No problem. Getting pretty toasty down here by Bakersfield temps around 103 or more can't shut bike down to stop cause it's flat ground out here and I don't want to push the bike on flat ground to start it. Get down to Interstate 5 start heading south through the Grapevine temp still in the 100's. It's like riding in a blast furnace! It's all down hill to LA from here, I wish I could of stopped at my favorite watering hole and had some Margaritas and grilled shrimp, but if there would of been Harley riders there, I didn't want them to see me bump starting my Suzuki. But I made it home no problem pulled into my driveway at abou 2: 55pm. Slightly burnt , overheated, but glad I did the ride. Next time I will make it to Yosemite after I get the glitches out of my bike and it's not tourist seaon up there and get an oil cooler for it if I can find one!
    Ride on everyone and have fun on your GS'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the desert read, gives me something to imagine as I nod off tonight.

Comment

Good story, Thanks.

Comment

I liked that story, but a couple of questions came to mind

Cold weather pants needed at 80 degrees F and complaints of high heat at 103F on the same day?

Doesn't seem to leave much for middle ground. What is a comfortable temperature in your area?

We tend to get used to a wider temperature range up here. (Not that we have a choice :x )

I have worn leather jacket and helmet at 115F and worn the same jacket and same helmet at 10F (but added a sweater and mitts).
        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
        X