Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sprocket carrier machining for larger rear wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprocket carrier machining for larger rear wheel?

I remember reading in several posts about adapting a 4.5" GSXR wheel to the back of a GS and how it's necessary to machine down the sprocket carrier to allow the wheel to align within the frame and the front and rear sprockets to align as well. What was the total amount you needed to machine down? I keep coming up with 8.5mm on mine and I'm wondering if this seems excessive to anyone here? Also, once it's machined do you need to use shorter studs for the sprocket nuts ? Or can you use the existing ones?

Thanks!!

Jim

Hi DiamondJ

Go to www.biker66.com and look at his rebuild. It is not a GS frame but the work is there and your measurements has to be done on your bike

GOOD LUCK, it?s worth the job you put into it.....I?ve done it and don?t look back at all

Comment

I had to machine the sprocket carrier when I did my conversion. Afterwards I saw a sprocket carrier from a GS500 and it already is smaller. I think it would have been very close for mine. You might try to get a look at one.

Kevan

Comment

I shimmed the countershaft sprocket as much as I could, leaving the lock washer right at the end of the splines.

Then I measured, and measured again, it's tricky getting it right...

Eventually I machined 5mm:s off the sprocket carrier.
        To tell the truth I didn't want to go much further as the material between the bolt holes gets very thin.
        To gain an extra mm I flipped the sprocket. One side is flat and the other has a step just under the teeth, mount this side inwards.

I could use the original bolts for the sprocket, but only just...
        All of the thread was used, and I don't have a M10x1 die so I used an extra washer to make sure the sprocket got torqued properly.
        Now I've exchanged them for normal stainless M10 bolts cut to size with washers and locknuts.

The result looks good. I've got acouple of mm:s clearance from the frame, but not much from the tyre.
        The outer edge of the tyre gets some oil spray from the chain but no scuffing.

Good luck with your project, it's worth it !

Comment

Working...
        X