Paint and Bodywork Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint and Bodywork Advice please

I have a 1980 GS1100GL. I have finally (through ebay and swap shows) been able to dress it the way that I want (Vetter Windjammer Fairing, Vetter bags and Trunk and cycle sound unit). I am finally ready to tend to some of the cosmetics, but would like some advice. . . .

The Fairing, bags and trunk are all currently black, with gold and red pin stiping The tank and trim on the bike are red with gold striping. Unfortunately, the fairing that I purchased on ebay has two egg sized dents on the right lower portion of the fairing. These are on the lower underside and don't really show, but I would like to have them repaired. How difficult is this? Can the fairing be repainted (or the repaired portion be repainted?).

Also, there is a shallow dent in the left side of the tank. The previous owner dropped the bike, and his knee pressed into the tank creating a shallow dent. I would like to have this dent removed.

My ultimate plan is to have the entire bike repainted a gloss black with gold trim, and put the Pittsburgh Steelers log on the Tank and top of the Trunk. Does anyone know of a good painter in Michigan who could repair the tank and do the paint/trim?

Also, does anyone know if I can find gold colored chrome trim to replace the current silver trim on the saddle bags and trunk? If not, is there any process I can use to make the silver trim gold colored?

Finally, can the acrylic portions of the bags and trunk be repainted?

Any and all help, comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Jeb Corpe
    jscorpe@centurytel.net

I am not sure what your chrome trim looks like but you may be able to make new trim with something from wal mart or K mart. In the automotice section they have plastic door stripping in chrome gold and black. It has a bead of glue down the middle and looks like a small gauge 'U'-channel. Like I said I don't know what your trim looks like, but maybe that will help.

Comment

nearly anything can be painted if it is prepped and sanded properly first. The trim can be done with gold or chrome pinstripe tape found in nearly any quality auto parts houses. J.C.Whitney sells a plastic trim in gold, chrome and metalic colors with channel that will pop onto anything that has a narrow edge or lip like the bottom of gas tanks, windshields etc. You can go to their website and order up a free catalog or shop for it online.

Comment

Working...
      X