Running lean...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running lean...

I purchased a 1980 GS1100L a couple of weeks ago. (Actually, it's this one: http://www.thegsresources.com/_scrip....php?RegID=173 )

I took it to the shop to get tuned up, checked out, inspected, and get the front tire replaced. Just picked it up yesterday, and they guys said there was not much they could do with the carbs, or to help with the hard starting (requires starting fluid), because the bike has K&N filter pods on it, and the engine is just running too lean. Also, the boots from the carbs to the engine are very loose and letting in even more air, since the carbs tend to shake and bounce, since they are no longer supported by the original air box.

I know I at least need new boots for the carbs. That will help richen the mixture, I think. And I think the bike was jetted for the filter pods, but I'm wondering. Should I try to restrict the airflow somehow if it's still running too lean? The original air box is long gone. Isn't there a screw on each carb to limit the intake of air, or would it be more difficult to limit the airflow since I have these K&N pods? I imagine I need to fashion some sort of brace for the carbs, too, so they won't vibrate and bounce so much.

I also have the stator/RR problem, but that's another story. Hopefully I can do that work myself.

And BTW, since I'm a new GS'er, I guess I'll tell a little bit about myself. I am in Dallas TX, and used to ride dirt bikes when I was a teenager. Now I'm about to be 30, and really wanted a street bike. I saw Kevin's GS1100LT for sale and jumped on it. Now I'm getting fully legal before I take it out too much - license, insurance, safety class, etc. I imagine I'll be turning to this forum quite a bit for advice, so.. Nice to meet you!

- Eric

Definately fix those boots. you'll find out that Suzuki doesn't stock both sizes like they used to. I ended up using radiator hose cut to fit. Works great and it supports the weight of the carbs and pods with no trouble at all. It might richen up enough to ride. There are several GS'ers in NTX that I'm sure would give you a hand. Get that sucker fixed and join us on the Octoberfest Hill Country ride. Check out the GS Meetingplace forum for the info.

BTW, thats a great looking bike......

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
      Definately fix those boots. you'll find out that Suzuki doesn't stock both sizes like they used to. I ended up using radiator hose cut to fit. Works great and it supports the weight of the carbs and pods with no trouble at all. It might richen up enough to ride. There are several GS'ers in NTX that I'm sure would give you a hand. Get that sucker fixed and join us on the Octoberfest Hill Country ride. Check out the GS Meetingplace forum for the info.

BTW, thats a great looking bike......
      Thanks! So, are you saying that the boot sizes are different for different carbs? (i.e., perhaps the two center carbs have a different size boot than the outter carbs?) I thought about radiator hose, but I was worried that perhaps the boots were an exact size and shape, maybe to encourage proper flow into the heads...? If radiator hose works just fine, then obviously I'd rather go that way. Would I need different sizes of radiator hose, or just tighten hose clamps appropriately?

And yes, I'd love to join you guys for the Hill Country ride this Fall! I just want to make sure my bike will make it first.

- Eric

Comment

Welcome to the GS fold! Like Tim said there are several of us in the NT area and should be able to provide you a little info. First I second what Tim suggested...replace your intake boots. If your bike was jetted correctly after your K&N's were installed then it should be ok. My 1100 is very senstitive to not being ridden enough. Amazingly when ridden daily it starts immediately, but when it sits for a few days..out comes the starter fluid. If you're having charging problems then this may also contribute to your hard starting condition...GSes like a fully charged battery and what I thought were carb/fuel problems were cured with a fully charged battery. Good luck and don't be afraid to post your questions. Oh yeah, there are volumes of information in the old Q&A as well as past posts in the forums so get to know the search feature.

Comment

Yes the suzuki boots were two different sizes because the insides were slightly shorter than the outsides. I bought a set of boots from suzuki a couple years ago and the service manager told me about the size difference and said "just push 'em on and make 'em fit" :roll: . Well I did that and in about two weeks I had torn the two outside boots because not only are they trying to hold up my carbs and pods, but they were pushing and pulling against each other too. $65.00 down the drain ....... I read about the radiator hose trick in the "old" Q&A section here.... It has worked flawlessly for 2 years now and still going. I'm sure that the stock boots are better for the airflow versus rad. hose but I haven't noticed any ill effects...... Dragracers have been using this trick for years and they are obsessed with airflow. So it can't be that bad I guess....... One thing I would suggest is ditching the stock suzuki hose clamps and using real radiator hose clamps. They will squish the hose down around the carb and head spigot better. These are hard to mount the first time, but once they take a set to their new position they will come on and off easier than the stock items......... BTW, I took one of my old boots to the auto parts place and asked the guy to find me a hose with roughly the same internal diameter. I think the hose cost me about ten bucks ..... And I got enough material to make at least two sets of boots ........

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely give it a go, as soon as I can get some time to work on it. Hopefully it's not too hard to get to the inner boots.

- Eric

Comment

As far as the carb support issue goes. I just used a couple of long and thick zip ties wrapped thru the main spar that all the carbs bolt to and then over the frame rails. Mine's been this way for 17 years and I just put new ones on every couple years.

Comment

I just purchased some new boots at bikebandit.com for my 1100. Kind of pricey (about 50 for the set). Really doesn't matter what you use as long as they are impervious to gasoline and don't leak, and are thick enough to support the carb weight.

I went with the original simply because I wanted it to look good - that and I'm spending so much on it anyway - what's another 50? 8O

Comment

Swanny, did you get two different part numbers from BBandit? The biggest problem I had was the different lengths fight ing each other.....

Comment

my 2 cents

My 82 1100E has K&N pod filters and some type of bigger main jet with no numbers on it from the prior owner. I ordered the K&N jet kit last week for $45 and installed them just to know what size jets are in it. I use a coat hanger and make a hook on the end to keep the carbs up. Also check the tubes inside the carbs that enrich the air during choking, all four of mine were pugged up causing the bike not to start.

Jake
                    Abilene Tx
                    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

where exactly are using radiator hose? in place of the rubber boots?

i'm confused...

Comment

Yes, we're talking about using radiator hose in place of the carb boots. Mine are in bad shape a leaking air into the heads.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll also check for this tube mentioned that enriches the air when it's choked.

- Eric

Comment

if you unscrew the carb boots...is there a flange that you can mount the radiator hose on to, and clamp it?

i've never taken my boots off, i did try...but the middles ones wont come off because i can't get my impact driver in there.

~Adam

Comment

I think what they are saying is to remove the rubber from the old boots and reuse the metal part that bolts to the head

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                              if you unscrew the carb boots...is there a flange that you can mount the radiator hose on to, and clamp it?
                              ~Adam
                              To save your confusion, the later GS bikes (particularly the 16 valve 1000's, 1100's and 750's built post 1980) didn't have screw on carb boots, they just had short rubber boots like my old honda CB750K2. Sadly, you'll still have to buy those expensive screw on parts for your 550....................

Comment

Working...
                              X