Cam Chain Tensioner Oil Seals. '80 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain Tensioner Oil Seals. '80 GS850G

If you are trying to replace the oil seals in your cam chain tensioner you may have a hard time finding-ordering replacement seals/o-rings, I did.

My tensioner was dripping oil from the end, drip-drip slobbering up everthing below and behind. The microfisch for my bike ('80 GS850G) only showed one o-ring, which I ordered, and I recieved this one little o-ring that I could not imagine how-where it could be used. I bought a used tensioner on ebay and disassmbled it to find that there was three oilseal/o-rings, and that it was the other two that I needed.

A kind-helpfull GSResourser suggested that I look at microfische for each year after 1980 to see if a later year was more correct. Thru that effort I did find a microfishe (for 83 850L, I think) that showed all three seals. I have ordered the three oilseals/o-rings, and have rebuilt the tensioner, and now - no drippy-drip. Gosh - the engine and transmission now looks like it is made out of alumunim, rather that being a grimy oilly mess.

The Suzuki Part numbers are:
    09280-06005 O-Ring for the shaft locknut stud. This is what you will need if its leaking around that locknut stud on left side. This is the o-ring shown on 1980 microfish but you would not know it because it is shown in wrong place.
    09280-21013 O-ring for the big bonnet cap under the torsion spring. This is what you will need if leaking from under that big bonnet cap and then running down the torsion spring.
    09284-10006 Oil-Seal for the shaft that goes thru the bonnet under/inside the torsion spring. Was mostly what I needed because oil was driping off the big knurled knob but oil was not comming down the torsion spring. This one was $4-5 bucks.

Total for all 3 was $10 or less, so I would say to replace all of them if any one is leaking. Maybe replace all of them, if they are old, when doing anything else that has the carbs removed. I understand that other GSResourcers have said the tensioner can be removed without removing carbs, maybe on other models (maybe 1100s ?) but it doesnt seem like it on my 850.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

GS850 chain tensioner seal

I have had a similar experience. I have a 79 GS850. The seal at the torsion spring was hardened and leaking, but the fiche for the 79 only listed the small o-ring (must have been the one for the lock nut). The partsman found the proper o-ring on a 83 fiche. Thanks to a competent partsman it was not an exasperating experience. Thankyou redman. Knowing the proper part number before you go in to buy the part is a great help.

Comment

redman, if you're still around, thanks for the p/n info about the o-rings/seals.
      One of the true joys of owning older bikes is playing the parts counter game. Thanks again for the tip.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
      X