oil coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil coolers

im looking for a oil cooler for my 78gs750E new or used in good cond.

i dont think the 750 can run a oil cooler, theres not much oil pressure. am i right? anyone anyone anyone?

Comment

no rick you are wrong oil coolers are quite successful on bikes with roller bearing cranks. (lower oil preasure than slipper bearing cranks) if you are in a hot climate they are very handy
      ozman

Comment

I want an oil cooler for my GS1000S, I've got a new Earls cooler in a box, but I can't find an adaptor anywhere to fit over the oil pressure switch thingy.

I've got my own lathe and mill, so I'm thinking about making my own custom adapters, what I want to do is use the oil pressure take off just under the cylinder block to run the hot oil up to the cooler, then have the cooled oil return via the filler cap. (I'll have to turn up a new one, and tap a hose adapter into it.)

Can anyone see a problem with this? Let me know guys, it's almost the weekend and I plan to spend it in my garage!

Comment

Isnt there a return and send on the front on the engine each side of the oil filter cover

Comment

all you need is a 25mm block under oil preasure sensor which has a fitting at 90 degrees for your supply fittings can be clamp on because of lower preasure run in this type of bike return is via fitting right hand side rear of cylinder block you replace the bung with a 90 degree fitting or as you say in via filler bit ugly but your choice
            ozman

Comment

Originally posted by ozman
              all you need is a 25mm block under oil preasure sensor which has a fitting at 90 degrees for your supply fittings can be clamp on because of lower preasure run in this type of bike return is via fitting right hand side rear of cylinder block you replace the bung with a 90 degree fitting or as you say in via filler bit ugly but your choice
              ozman
              Hey Ozzie, what do you mean ugly? Geez, when I create something, it's art! Ha ha, OK, I'll have a look at the 25mm block for the feed, sounds easy, (so it's probably not)

If I can get away with having the return feed back into the (very attractive) filler adapter I'm going to turn up, I'll do that so that i can keep my oil pressure guage mounted in the "bung hole" at the base of the cylinder block. Thanks for the "heads up" mate!

I presume that being a "low pressure" system, that normal 10 or 12mm ID auto transmission fluid hose will suffice to carry the hot oil to, and from the cooler?

Comment

i made an error in my advise you triggered my memory when you said about your preasure gauge you cannot return to the port behind cyl that is a presure line if you undo your preasure switch you will see the switch seats the block you make must extend down and seal where the switch used to seat. you then bore the centre of block to the same depth as your old switch to seat(about 18mm) you will see a drain hole rear of the back bolt holding switch in place you can bore another gallery in the block for the return
                hope this is not to confusing if you look at how the switch works it is simple oil preasure opens the switch oil light goes out it is held open as long as there is oil preasure the oil then continues back through the drain hole at the rear. you are intercepting it and rerouting it

points 1the new block must seat and seal where the switch seated
                2 new hole bored in top of block must be same depth as prior
                ozman

Comment

i live in california in a busy city (santa rosa) can any of you give me links to sites that sell them??

Comment

Originally posted by ozman
                    i made an error in my advise you triggered my memory when you said about your preasure gauge you cannot return to the port behind cyl that is a presure line
                    Thanks Ozzie, I understand what you are saying, I went out to the garage and had a look at one of my spare engines and I can see what you mean, and I'm cursing my generosity for giving away a book that had a pic of the oil cooler adapter on Wes Cooleys race bike, but from memory the adapter was pretty much as you've described so I think I should be ok.

I've sort of hijacked Mr Moto's post, (sorry mate) so to help you out, try:

earlsperformance.com (they're in Long Beach California, so that should be good for you)

I had problems trying to open their site, but I found another earls site in England, (I think their email address is sales@earls.co.uk ) interestingly enough they list the adapter Ozzie and I were talking about, the part # is ED30, so I might try to order one from them if they're reasonably priced.

Comment

Agree with Ozman. What you need to do is take the oil from the pressure switch passage up to the cooler and back down again to continue on its way around the engine. If you divert it into the filler, you will have lots of oil back in the oil pan, but not much through the engine.

I will email a pic I have of one. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, otherwise I could take some pics of my original Yoshi adaptor on the GS1000

Comment

If I could find an email address to send it too that is!

Comment

Comment

I can't seem to be able to post a hyperlink, but here is the website with the oil cooler adapters.

Comment

Granted, I have a 1100. But, if I take the oil from the pressure switch, run it through a cooler or whatever and return it to the filler cap, I'd be stuck with junk on two wheels within three minutes...

If I don't return the oil to the outside of the tube that comes up to the pressure swich, or to the plug on the right hand side behind the cylinder, the head will get no oil !
                              Result: junk head with just about everything ruined inside !

Just an observation.

Comment

Working...
                              X