Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper way to clean and lube your chain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper way to clean and lube your chain.

This is mainly for the newer riders but others may be interested. This is the spray lube method,so this does not apply to those of you that prefer to soak a chain in motor oil. Motor oil is cheap but does not protect against rust very long,it makes a mess and is not good for o-rings.
    First, if the chain is too dirty,take it off and clean it with KEROSENE. It works very well,especially if you let it soak about a 1/2 hour or so and it is safe for o-rings. Use a "softer" bristle brush,especially on o-rings. Hang it out to dry. When you re-install the chain,make sure the CLOSED end of the master clip is pointing in the direction of travel.When sitting on the bike, you should have about 3/4-1'' of slack at the mid-point between sprockets. If you don't need to clean the chain,lets lube it.
    Go for a quick ride,enough to warm up the chain. The chain MUST be warm to do the best job. Put the bike on the centerstand and lay out some newspapers. Shake the lube up good and insert the spray tube. From the rear of the bike,place the tip of the tube on the left side of the sprocket (about 5:00.) It should be touching right between the sprocket and chain. This is the best angle to try to get the lube down inside the rollers,which is where the lube is most needed. Turn the wheel backwards so the master link is at the bottom of the sprocket. This is just for a reference point when you spin the wheel. Slowly spin the wheel backwards as you apply the lube. Let the spray tip drag along between the sprocket and chain. Watch the master link come around 3 times. Now do the same on the right side of the sprocket. This side can be a little more trouble because the wheel can get in the way of your hand. Now spray each side of the chain,pointing the tube directly at its side and a few inches away. Try to pick a spot where you will have the least chance of getting the spray where you don't want it,such as brake parts or hard to clean up areas. To get the right amount of lube on will take a little practice depending on how fast you turn the wheel and how much you press the spray valve. After about 1 minute,rotate the chain 1/2 way around,this will help the lube to stay on the chain and not drip off as it is setting up and thickening. After 1 more minute do the same thing. Wipe off any over spray with a paper towel or rag. You may want to use a little mild cleaner. LET THE LUBE SET UP for about 20-30 minutes. Go riding! Depending on your driving conditions,you may want to re-lube every 400-600 miles or so? I don't ride in the rain and I don't apply it as often as some people say you should, but the way I do it has worked well for me. No rust,no unusual chain stretch.
    PS:I have found the newer "Chain Waxes"(I use Maxima's brand) are much better than regular lubes such as "PJ". The chain wax is not as sticky so it attracts less dirt. It also protects o-rings MUCH better than regular lubes. It is about $7.95 for a 13 oz. can and if applied correctly, will give you many applications(I have'nt counted.) Hope this helps!
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Try this stuff if you want to clean your chain without the hassle of removing it. http://www.wtkchemicalsolutions.com It really works great. I've tried it. All you have to do is spray it on wait a few minutes and hose it off. Wait until your chain dries and then lube it. It’s that simple.

Roman.

Comment

Take the chain off??? I just clean it on the bike. Do it before you wash the bike. Good post though.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
        Take the chain off??? I just clean it on the bike. Do it before you wash the bike. Good post though.
        I tried cleaning the chain on a bike once,to me,it does'nt get cleaned as well as cleaning in a container. You get a mess behind the sprocket cover and it takes at least as much time or longer to clean. But if some people have trouble taking off their master link,I can see keeping it on.
        That spray cleaner Roman mentioned sounds interesting.
        The main point of my topic however,was lubing the chain. That's where people make the most mistakes.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Good one Swanny, I wanna go out like Grandpa too.

Comment

No, the biggest mistake people make is having a chain in the first place!

Shafty Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
              No, the biggest mistake people make is having a chain in the first place!

Shafty Nick
              No, the biggest mistake is made by the person pulling their chain.

MIke

Comment

Chain? Bikes have chains? :?

Cragar 8)

Comment

Shafties are natchel born troublemakers

Comment

I've been shafted before on a Virago and a Sabre that I owned and now I'm on the chain gang. But I guess I'm lucky that I haven't been belted like my son on his Vulcan.

Mike

Comment

We gotta have a little fun.....don't we?

Although I have a shaft-driven bike, I also have two quads. Both, of which, do have chains. This has been good reference material.

Thanks Paul!

Cragar 8)

Comment

What!!!

Do you mean you guys don't have something like the fabulous Scottoiler

read a review here

then go buy one

Comment

If you're cheap you can get a Loob Man. It's just a squeeze bottle mounted to your bike with a hose running down to your chain. Squeeze the thing and give your wheel a kick to oil the chain. After switching to the Maxima Chain Wax I'll never go back to oil though. Except for the winter when the wax peels off on ya.

Steve

Comment

I can't see my chain due to the chain case on it..so in between tyre changes I just squirt it sometimes with a little lube....

Comment

Originally posted by mdole
                              I've been shafted before on a Virago and a Sabre that I owned and now I'm on the chain gang. But I guess I'm lucky that I haven't been belted like my son on his Vulcan.

Mike

your son has a vulcan bike !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X