Better GS1100E tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better GS1100E tires?

Hello! I was curious if anyone has tried to install newer/lower profile tires on their older (early 80's GS) bikes. I need new tires on my 82 GS1100E and was thinking of trying 140/80/17 rear and 110/80/19 front instead of the OEM 130/90/17 rear and 100/90/19 front. The reason I ask this is because I also own a GSX1100G with OEM 70 sidewall tires and it handles so much better! I know it has a newer suspension, and has several advancements all around, but I was wondering if the shorter sidewall and slightly wider tire will give better stability on the old GS in the twisties. The am willing to put up with the increased speedo inaccuracy, but don't see any other negative. What do you all think? Thanks a lot for the input!

Jack

I have used 80 profile tyres on my GS1000 since the 80s, so no problems with how they work! I have used the 110 on the frontwith good effect, but cant fit a 140 in the rear. The 130/80 works fine, so if you can fit a little more rubber in go for it

Comment

Thanks! I will try them out and see how it feels.

Jack

Comment

As "saaz" says: You can go for a 130/80-17 in the rear but no wider, the rim is to narrow unless it is a -84-87 wich should work great with 140,s. The front rim is only 1,85 inches wide wich would give zero benefits with a 110 tyre since the profile would get more round giving threadpattern on the side of the tyre 8O I have a 120 tyre on my 2,15inch rim and it has only been worn in the middle parts of it so the next one I?ll get will be a 110 propably giving me a larger footprint than the 120.

Comment

Took a closer look and you are right. If I went with a 140 in the rear it will hit the rear brake support and possibly chain cover, and the rim is soooo thin! That sucks! I guess I'll stick with the stock width and try to lower the sidewall a little by going to an 80 or something. Thanks again!

Jack

Comment

Working...
          X