Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The kindness of strangers

You guys are gonna love this one...

A couple of weeks ago, I got my "new" GS550E back from the shop - carbs clean, old gas drained (they said it was orange 8O ), new gas added, all tuned up and ready to go. Yeah! I decided to head out on one of my longer test loops with it for the first time. Heading down a back road in town, only to run into construction I didn't know was there. I carefully putted across the dirt, past the cops directing traffic, and went merrily on my way.

Half a mile later, the bike started losing power. It started feeling like my 650 did, but got worse rapidly, to the point where I couldn't keep it running anymore, and it wouldn't start. First thing I tried was switching the fuel valve to reserve, but strangely that didn't help. Must be something else up with the bike. Bummer.

My trip odometer said I was 4.4 miles from home. I'd come down a bunch of hills, and there was no way I was going to push the bike back up them. But I wasn't far from the construction area, so I slowly made my way back there. I'd hoped one of the detail cops could have the station call my wife to come rescue me. Wasn't sure what to do about the dead bike, but one disaster at a time... Got back to the work zone, and they were packing up. A couple of guys asked if I was out of gas, but I told them I'd switched to reserve and got nothing, so something else must be wrong. The cop hopped in his car and took off. Right past me, pushing a disabled bike down the road, and didn't even notice.

A few minutes later, a car stopped and asked if I was out of gas. I told the guy the same thing - tried reserve, got nothing, dunno what's wrong. Turns out he lived around the corner from there, and had a motorcycle trailer, but no vehicle with a trailer hitch. Well, my Miata has a trailer hitch (to bring tools and race wheels to autocrosses). He offered me, a complete stranger, the use of his trailer to rescue my bike. So I hopped in with his wife, kid, and dog, and they drove me home to get the Miata. I followed them home, hooked up the trailer, he popped his license plate on it (hadn't used the trailer in a while). Returned to the bike, loaded it up and tied it down. All set. He told me he didn't need the trailer for the next few days, so I could keep it through the weekend if I wanted. Would you loan a trailer to a total stranger for a weekend? I don't think I would, but this guy did!

The place that did the work on my bike said to bring it on back if there were any problems. So I did. Dropped it off, and they said they'd try to have a look at it on Friday.

Since I had the trailer anyway, I went to the place that had started to repair my 650, then diagnosed it as terminally ill, to load it up and bring it home to part out (details here). One of the guys who worked there had actually seen me on the side of the road, broken down, but the first guy had already stopped to help me. So even if the first guy hadn't stopped, I would've had some help! The guys from the shop helped me load it up, but it was quite an adventure for just my wife and I to unload it, since they'd removed the rear swingarm and not reassembled it, so there was no back wheel. I found a small cart in the garage, and we managed to lift and jack up the bike enough to stick that under the back of the frame, then roll the whole thing off the trailer. Finally, now that all my bike transportation was done, I returned the trailer to the guy - but not before airing up his tires and fabricating a new license plate bracket to replace the one that kind of fell apart while I was using it. Thanks, Darin.

Friday afternoon, the shop hadn't had time to check out the bike, and they were going to be closed for vacation the whole following week. They were OK with me fiddling with it myself, and they sent one of their guys out to help. We knew it had fuel, since they just tuned it up. They thought it didn't have spark, but the big jolt the poor guy got when he told me to crank it over told him otherwise. We removed the gas tank to check out the coils. He said it felt pretty light to him, and seemed like there was no gas in there. Strange, since I'd never gotten to use the reserve setting, but just to eliminate the possibility I went home, got a gas can, brought it back, and put some gas in. He helped me prime it, and what do you know, it fired right up!!!

I know why this happened. I just got the bike, which, unlike my 650, doesn't have a gas gauge. I'd barely ridden it at all, so I had no idea what kind of gas mileage or range I could expect. I'd only gone 40something miles. Apparently when they put fresh gas into it, they didn't actually fill the tank! I'm still not sure why reserve didn't work, though - that baffles me. If it had, I would've just returned to the center of town, filled up, and gone on my merry way.

Crazy situation, but I still can't get over the guy's kindness and generousity of just giving me his trailer for a few days. It's renewed my faith in the general goodness of people.

And, for the record, I've calculated that I get 55-60mpg, with a 3 gallon tank, and I start looking for a gas station when I get to the 120 mile mark on the trip odometer, which I reset when I fill up.

Ironically, I was out for a ride a couple of nights ago, and pulled over to let faster traffic by. The last car in line was a cop, who stopped in front of me and put the lights on. Turns out he was just stopping to make sure I was all right, wasn't broken down or anything. I thanked him, and told him I wished he'd been there a week ago!

Cool story, with a happy ending. Two things though...
    When you switched the bike to reserve after passing the construction zone, did you first set it to prime for a half minute or so? How long did you crank it?
    Second, if you did those things, but still suspect you have no reserve, it might be wise to remove the petcock and make sure the screen (1) exists in the first place, and (2) make sure it inserted the right way. The screen has two sections, one higher than the other. When you switch from On to Reserve, it pulls gas from the lower side.

Comment

Nice story. What a wonderful gesture for someone that doesn't even know you.

You know, what goes around, comes around. Don't let the candle burn out on your watch. Keep it burnin' by doing the same for someone else when given the opportunity.

Cragar 8)

Comment

Well, since I'm new to bikes, I didn't know about priming it the way you described, Jeckler. But when we removed the gas tank, we heard nothing sloshing around in there, either. So I'm not sure. I should do some experimentation with reserve *before* running low on gas again, ya think? Thanks for the tip. I'll fiddle a bit.

Cragar, I had a bit of good vehicular karma coming my way due to assistance I've provided in the past. I just cashed in all of it, and then some probably. I'm already doing as you suggest - just the other day, in fact, I was out for a ride and spotted a V-Rod on the side of the road. I stopped to offer assistance, but the guy was all set. I complimented his bike and took off.

Comment

Good for you. But....

8O A V-Rod on the side of the road?

Cragar 8)

Comment

Another thought on the lack of reserve. I had a Yamaha Virago that I bought wrecked quit a few years ago. Any way I fixed the front end with junkyard parts and cleaned the carbs, filters, etc., and got it running. On my first outing I ran out of gas switched to reserve and got nothing.

I was on my way home and close to the only gas within 20 miles so I pushed the bike to the station and filled up. Before filling it I tried to get the gas in the tank to slosh around to see what I had and couldn't really hear much.

Before I did much more riding I pulled the pet cock and found that the pick up tube for the on tap had cracked around the base and so my on position worked past the top of the tube that was supposed limit the level I could use in on. The Virago base was metal so I soldered the tube ands used it until I could get a replacement petcock as the whole assembly seemed to be corroded or eroded to the point where I would soon be having more problems.

Mike

Comment

I would say there is at least a fair chance that the fresh gas coming in sloshed enough that it dislodged whatever was blocking the flow of whatever amount was still in the tank. Check it out.

Whatever goes around....... true enough. I have no idea how many times I stopped to help people on bikes or with cars and trucks, and I have taken people several miles to get what they needed, or drop them off when I could not do anything with their vehicle.

I seldom need help, but I do recall a woman offering me a paper bag, and saying, "Breathe into this....."

I did.

And I thanked her. (Before the ambulance arrived.)
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I too have no reserve, happened suddenly, suspect screen came loose or diaphram tore. I noticed it when I went 155 miles without hitting reserve. For now, I just watch my miles, but eventually I'll take a closer look.

Comment

my mantra is,"check for gas first, before getting the hammers out!"

Comment

Alright,
                    The petcock could have a loose hose, and either sucks air, or dumps gas when you're riding.
                    "Check it out before pulling it out." that's my motto.
                    Also, I once broke down in my truck on the side of a creek in nowhere usa. Broken fan belt on an old datsun pickup. An old guy about 112 years old, pulled over. He ripped his mirror off his truck, took out the rubber seal, and stretched it over my fan pulley and my crank pulley. God is good to me.
                    Another time, my girlfriend and I were on the side of the highway with a newborn in the back seat. Stuck in the fast lane with a flat tire, 11:00 pm, in the middle of Christmas Eve. A dozen cops must have driven by, not one stopped. I was just getting ready to start throwing rocks at the police cars for help, when the biggest meanest looking biker I had ever seen pulled over. He got out of an old chevy pickup, and not only loaned me a jack but he did all the work, Never even looked at the traffic, just bent to work and changed the tire. The spare was flat, so he drove me to the next exit, and we got the tire filled, but I had left my wallet in the car. He paid. Never looked twice, or batted an eye. We got back, put the tire on, and the guy wouldn't accept a dime for his help. God is Gracious.
                    I have to say, it's not often that someone has ever lent me a hand without holding out the other hand for a reward check. But I've noticed since I began riding my bike, that all the other bikers sallute. When I've pulled over for a breather, I've had other bikes stop to see if everything is cool or if I need a hand.
                    I think I've met more good hearted Christian Bikers on the side of the road than in my own church. Just goes to show you, the tatoos and the leather don't stop the Light from shining through.
                    PS, you fellas break down on the side of the road, you can count on me stopping if I see you. I owe it to you.

Comment

A coupla' weeks ago, my wife was on her way to her sisters in Fort Worth and her car threw a rod, and her with no cell phone. Soon, a guy stopped to help...after trying several things and correctly diagnosing the problem, he left her [at her request] and went to the next town and called her sister and me to let us know what was happening. The next good samaritan left her a cell phone and told her to call as she wished and drop it off on her way to Fort Worth, when her sister reached her. Some people really are sweet. Makes an old cynic like myself pause...

Comment

It must've been about 5 years ago, my wife was very pregnant -- I think with our youngest. She was on her way to Cincinnati.

The van blew a front tire out at interstate speed. She was in the fast lane with little berm.

A guy at the top of a telecommunications tower heard the blowout and saw my wife and the van. He climbed down the tower, got in his truck, drove to a ramp and then to my wife and changed the tire.

Comment

A little payback happened this past Sunday. I was on my way to an autocross, in my Miata, with the trailer containing race tires and tools behind me. As I went onto an exit ramp, I got behind a Lexus going pretty slow. I soon saw why - the left front tire was just about flat. As we came off the ramp onto the highway, I watched the tire smoke and self destruct. He pulled over, and so did I. This happened right in front of me, and I was equipped with everything I needed to change all 4 of my wheels, race, then change back to street tires for the drive home. What's one more tire change? His Lexus ES300 even uses a 21mm lug nut - same size as my Miata. I could use my power tools and everything. No more than 10 minutes between pulling over and hopping back into traffic. The guy was ecstatic.

Comment

Working...
                          X