Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Case Gaurds Really Work!! or Those darn bicycle riders!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Case Gaurds Really Work!! or Those darn bicycle riders!

I will start with my '83 GS1100 I love to ride fast and back it into corners. My friend and I were on a ride in western North Carolina, in the mountians. I had been pushing hard most of the day and had slightly incinerated the posted speed limit a couple of times, but I had slowed down to wind along this very curvy country road, and this Harley dresser that I happened to get behind wasn't draging his knee or anything. Anyway, I came around a blind right hander and in my lane I see a big red Chevy Tahoe, not just barley but all the way in my lane 8O . The Tahoe was trying to get around 2 bicycle ridders that happend to be ridding stagered. the Tahoe started back into her lane but it was too late. All I saw was red, and bang I hit the side of the tahoe, slid down the side and flew of the back of the Tahoe about 2 feet of of the ground on my side. I was still on. the bike and I hit the road 6 feet past the end of the Tahoe, case gaurds first. I was going 30 or 35 mph at the time of impact. I got up :x checked my self and was OK , thought I was dead. Anyway the case guard hit the road and gouged out a 2in wide 1in deep,8in long spot in the pavement, the gaurd was bent beyond recognition, but not a drop of oil was spilled nor was there a scratch on the enigine case . Bent bars, busted faring, broken clutch lever,mirror gone,turn signal gone, and other misc. damage but the bike faired well. ALLWAYS WEAR YOU'RE LEATHERS. Not a scratch on me, Broken ribs but no skin gone. Just as soon as the Tahoe's ins comes through, the bike and I will be back on the road.
    See ya out there
    BW

OUCH!!! Glad you made it thru!!

People in cages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

Thanks for the story. I have a set of case guards on my bike and was wandering whether or not I should leave them off during the rebuild. You've convinced me to put them back on.

Cragar 8)

Comment

The best way to become a lover of case guards is to use a pair for their intended purpose. 8O

Welcome to the club! Glad you made it through (relatively) all right.
        I don't envy you those ribs. I cracked a couple (trees always have right-of-way) and was in agony for weeks.

Comment

Case Guards are motorcycle styling for the real world. If you ride the question isn't IF you are going to fall. It's WHEN? And how many times? In addtion to saving your engine they can keep the bike off of your leg if you happen to stay with it when you go down.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
          80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Plus they are a great place to mount highway pegs...Sorry to hear about your accident

Comment

Working...
            X