Removing/Replacing hot spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing/Replacing hot spark plugs

Due to my haste a little while ago, I stripped the thread on #2 spark plug hole, necessitating heli-coiling. Part of the problem was that I used a spark plug socket on a 6 inch extension bar and because of the lack of "feel" of the socket wrench I'd be trying to reinsert the plug at the incorrect angle.

Another problem was that once the plug was unscrewed, it'd fall out of the socket in between the fins on the head and would be an absolute bastardd to pick up unless I took the tank off. Of course it's worse still when the engine is hot and you want to do a plug chop or compression check etc.

So what I do now, is still "crack" the plug loose with my socket, but then I use a 10 inch length of automotive heater hose that just fits neatly (not too tight, not too loose) over the spark plug, that way I can wind it in or out without coming into contact with something hot, and at the same time, the hose is rigid enough to put the plug back in at the right angle without being too rigid like my socket extension and stuffing up the thread in the plug hole.

You'll still need to use your socket or plug spanner to tighten it, but I for one find this a much safer and easier way of handling spark plugs, particularly when they are hot! :twisted:

I've been using this trick for a lot of years. Learned it on one of my cars where the factory said to lift the engine up to change the plugs.

Comment

I only use a spark plug box spanner with fingers only to screw the plug in finger tight, then nip it up. The hose trick is useful to know for those hard to get places.

Comment

If you can avoid it you should never change spark plugs when they're hot. Give it at least 30 minutes. If you can avoid it you should never remove any bolt when hot. Unless both bolt and bolt holes are made of the same material there's a really good chance you'll bring the threads of the hole with it, or strip the bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by mghalverson
          If you can avoid it you should never change spark plugs when they're hot. Give it at least 30 minutes. If you can avoid it you should never remove any bolt when hot. Unless both bolt and bolt holes are made of the same material there's a really good chance you'll bring the threads of the hole with it, or strip the bolt.
          You're dead right mate, however, the two examples that I gave for times when you need to remove plugs when they're hot are exceptions to the rule, and if I sat and thought about it for awhile, there would probably be more examples of when you can't avoid this "necessary evil". Just remember, if you have to, "Use The Hose and save your skin". :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          X