Motor and shaft swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor and shaft swap

Does anyone know whether or not the 1993 gs1100g motor and shaft can be fitted into a 1983 gs850g frame without too much trouble.

1993? There was no GS1100G in 1993.

Surely you must mean 1983. If so, you should have absolutely no problems fitting a complete 1983 GS850G engine/transmission unit to a 1983 GS850G frame. The frames are identical, and everything should fit perfectly.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
      If so, you should have absolutely no problems fitting a complete 1983 GS850G engine/transmission unit to a 1983 GS850G frame.
      I'd hope not.

The frames are identical, and everything should fit perfectly.
      I'd certainly hope so.

:twisted: Sorry couldn't help myself.

Comment

1993? There was no GS1100G in 1993.

Surely you must mean 1983. If so, you should have absolutely no problems fitting a complete 1983 GS850G engine/transmission unit to a 1983 GS850G frame. The frames are identical, and everything should fit perfectly.

Nick
        I thought the question, (regardless of the date error) was will the GS1100G engine fit into the GS850G frame?

Does anyone know? I know that the larger chain drive engines will fit in the smaller chain drive frames. (i.e, GS1000 into GS750 etc)

Do any of you shaftie "experts" know the answer? :twisted:

Comment

I believe Nick was saying yes, that they will swap with no trouble.

Comment

I just swapped a 1983 GS1100GL engine into a 1979 GS850G frame. The engine fits, but there should be a couple of minor things of which you should be aware. Carb intakes are different, so you will need to move to the larger constant velocity carbs. You may also need to customize the choke cable, and easy soldering job. This may be more of a difference between the models rather than the years, so may not be relevant to your swap. If you need to do this, the choke return spring is much stiffer and is very difficult to operate (but doable). If you have the lever mounted choke on the 850, you won't need to do any of this.

Also, take the 1100 drive shaft as well. The flange on the 850 is to small for the 1100 engine. The 1100 drive shaft will fit straight in.

Check that they both use the same style ignition, I had to swap in the electronic ignition. My brother did this, as I am a bit of a git when it comes to electrics. I thing this was because I was going from an '83 to a '79. (not so much the model). Probably not a problem for you.

Oh yeah, not sure about the pipes. I never checked as I got the Vance&Hines pipes with the 1100. There may be a difference in head pipe diameters.

This is not as daunting as it may seem, each is just a wee project and will only take a couple of hours on top of a straight forward swap. And, you may not need to do these as it sounds like you are going between different displacements in the same year, and not the different models and years that my wee project was.

Oh yeah, and if your are wondering if it is worth it. YES, IT CERTAINLY IS. Major performance difference all over and especially at higher RPMs. I would definitley recommend it. My brother is now looking for a GS1100 engine for his 850. Now, if I could get a 16 valve 1100G motor, that would be even better. Why is it that one never gets enough power, and I am no young pup either.

Comment

I believe Nick was saying yes, that they will swap with no trouble.

Pete, that's exactly what I meant. A GS1100G engine will fit a GS850G frame and viceversa. Sorry about the repetition of "850".

Nick

Comment

I agree with St Beare's comments. Swapping on same-year bikes should be no trouble at all. The swingarms on the 850 and the 1100 are the same. The choke mechanism, shaft flange, mounting points, etc., are the same on both.

Unfortunately, all the 16-valve GS engines are for chained bikes. The first 16-valve four-cylinder shaftie was the Kawasaki Concours, in 1986.

I also agree that a move from 850 to 1100 is worth it. I had four GS850's, (two 82's, one 79, and one 80) before I got my present GS1100GK in late 1999. Substantial difference in top end power. The 1100 has all the virtues of the 850, plus much more of the fun factor!

Nick

Comment

Aha! Trivia opportunity! I thought the first 16 valve shaftdrive bike was the CB900C.

Comment

While not the first, there is also the GSX1100G 4 valver, based on the 1990 GSX-R1100 motor. I have only ever seen one, but I am sure thye would have enough grunt and relaibility, alos being relatively "new" (1991 I think)

There are a few ride reviews on the net.

Comment

The Kaw Concours first came out in 1986. The GSX1100G came out in 89 or so.

You could be right about the CB900C. If so, I stand corrected.

Nick

Comment

When did you get back Nick???

Comment

Flew home on Thursday the 31st, Scotty. It was a great trip. Glad to be home, though, and ride my Hybrid GK.

Nick

Comment

Does the GSX1100G qualify to be a "GS"? Technically not as it is tha air/oil cooled motor, but the one I saw was definitely a gs styled bike. Reasonably rare too I think. Now I am thinking hard if I can get one of those....as well of course

Comment

The CB 900 also had a hi/low range transmission often refere to as a 10 speed

Comment

Working...
                              X