GS750/850/1000/1100 Oil Cooler Adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750/850/1000/1100 Oil Cooler Adapter

I've finally finished it. I haven't fitted the cooler yet (tomorrow's job) but I took some pics on my spare engine. If you'd like one, let me know, I need to make a couple more to pay for the tooling.

If you're worried about not having an oil pressure switch (I'm using an oil pressure guage so don't need a light) don't worry, I can machine a thread to fit your original switch on top, as per your original. What do you think? :twisted:

The adapter is trick but the motor could do with a steam clean . .

Comment

Originally posted by ozman
      The adapter is trick but the motor could do with a steam clean . .
      The engine needs stripping and painting Ozzie, (plus a rebore I think)that's why it's out of the frame, but that's not half as interesting as making adapters, so I've chosen the easy path, again.................. :twisted:

Comment

give me a ring i emailed u my ph number
        ozman

Comment

Best homemade job I have seen. I think I will keep my Yoshi adaptor tho!

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
            Best homemade job I have seen. I think I will keep my Yoshi adaptor tho!
            Thanks for the praise mate, I'm pretty happy with it, although I've got plans for making one of my own design next, and maybe I'll think about doing complete kits if there's enough interest out there.

Does your yoshimura one have an oil pressure switch built in? I was chatting to Steve (Ozman) last night (I'd love to get into his shed) and we reckon that one of the factory adapters must have had an inbuilt switch, but so far the two that I've seen (Earls and Derale) didn't? Anyway, if you're does, can you send me a pic?

These old Suzy engines really are just about bulletproof, and seem to have outlived their competition by many years, it's just a pity that all the accessories from the era are no longer available............. Oh, did I mention that I'm thinking of doing oil pressure guages next? :twisted:

Comment

The Yoshi one allows you to screw in the original oil switch into the "out" oil path.

I don't have a digital camera or scanner, but will see what I can do pic wise.

Comment

That looks good Terry.

What about sealing between the adaptor and the engine. The stock fitting has an o-ring. Do you get any leaks with this?

Comment

G'Day Martin, as I said it's a copy of the Earls ED30 adapter that apparently (from looking at the pic I found on the Earlsdirect website) used a paper gasket.

I haven't connected mine up yet so I can't honestly say it won't leak, but I don't see why a gasket won't suffice, I don't think 5 or so psi would be a major problem if both mating surfaces are nice and flat.

I could try to cut a groove for the original "O" ring, but if Earls got away with not using one, then mine shouldn't need one either, I hope. :twisted:

Comment

Very nice looking unit. It looks more effective than the cheesy adapter than came with my Derale oil cooler. Good Job!

Comment

WOULD ONE OF THOSE ADAPTERS FIT ON A GS 550?

RYAN

P.S ITS A VERY NICE LOOKIN PEICE I ESPECAILY LIKED THE T, NICE TOUCH.
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                        WOULD ONE OF THOSE ADAPTERS FIT ON A GS 550?

RYAN

P.S ITS A VERY NICE LOOKIN PEICE I ESPECAILY LIKED THE T, NICE TOUCH.
                        I don't know mate, does the 550 have the oil pressure switch thingie behind the cylinder block like it's bigger brothers? If it's the same it should. :twisted:

Comment

yeah it does, i went riding with a guy yesterday who had a 77 550 with a lockhart oil cooler and lockhart mounting block switch thing. so yes i guess that your block would fit. what did you use to cut the aluminum? and how long did it take to make?

ryan
                          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                          82 Kat 1000 Project
                          05 CRF450x
                          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

G'Day Ryan, I have a lathe, milling machine and bead blasting cabinet in my workshop that I use to make small items like the adapter.

I carved the alloy block on my mill, and turned up the brass pickup tube on the lathe, then bead blasted the sucker to remove any small scratches and give it that "satin" finish. Total time for one adapter is about 4 hours, but I guess I'll get quicker once I've done a few.

I'm working on the MK2 model now, so that you can use your original oil pressure switch, once it's done I'll post some more pics on my site.

You don't need all this equipment to make one, but if you've ever tried to shape alloy with a hacksaw and file you'll know just how difficult it is to get a professional result! :twisted:

Comment

Hey Terry,
                              Are you going to sell these? I know I'm not the only one who will be interested.

Harrison

Comment

Working...
                              X