Crash bar and Ferring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash bar and Ferring?

I couldnt help but notice that the majority of the GS's in the gallery do not have a crash bar.. I am looking for some opinions.. I have a Pacifico Ferring and a crash bar on my 1982 GS650G, Do you guys think she would look prettier without this extra stuff? or am I lucky to have them and I should without a doubt leave them on..And, is there anything negative about having crash bars on a GS?

Thanks
    Tom

Re: Crash bar and Ferring?

Originally posted by MAGICTOM
    I couldnt help but notice that the majority of the GS's in the gallery do not have a crash bar.. I am looking for some opinions.. I have a Pacifico Ferring and a crash bar on my 1982 GS650G, Do you guys think she would look prettier without this extra stuff? or am I lucky to have them and I should without a doubt leave them on..And, is there anything negative about having crash bars on a GS?

Thanks
    Tom
    Although I don't have crash bars(case savers) on my '83 I worry about a simple tip over to the left busting my stator cover. Took them off my 1100 for a while, but after my son laid it down on the left side and(you guessed it) breaking the stator cover I reinstalled them. IMO leave the crash bars on. Function over form in this case.

Comment

See this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=12287

Comment

OK, The Case Gaurds Stay ON!
        Thanks for solving that one...No-brainer... Im learning though.
        What about the Fairing? I dont plan on too many long distance rides, and personally I think its less attractive than some of the sexy bikes I have had the pleasure of checking out in the gallery that DONT have fairings.. My only hang-up on taking it off is the fact that Bugs Hurt at 60 MPH.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the "big" fairings, so it would automatically come off if that's the kind it was.

However, if it's one like this:

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

I'd say, "Leave it on!" These are beautiful and add a touch of class to the bike. (Pic belongs to Michael Howard)

Comment

Just a caution. I've heard stories of the case guards bending the frame in certain instances. So, to me it's six of one and a half dozen of the other.

The case guards that you posed are small and don't look bad at all. They do make them much larger and I, personally would not use them as they look like cr@p.

Comment

Originally posted by Cragar
              I'm not a fan of the "big" fairings, so it would automatically come off if that's the kind it was.

However, if it's one like this:

http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage/michael####tures.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1281

I'd say, "Leave it on!" These are beautiful and add a touch of class to the bike. (Pic belongs to Michael Howard)
              Interesting the things that our "racial-slur-sensitive" BBcode sensors...

Comment

I am a fan of big fairings. Not only the bugs at 60, but the rain, the cold, the tiresome blast of air hitting you for miles and miles.

In my young and foolish days, I rode naked bikes. No more. I've learned.

Do you ride to look cool, or to visit places on two wheels? If you want to look cool, go ahead and keep the fairing off. If you want to have common sense, keep it on.

Leave it on!

What negative could there possibly be about crash bars? When I hit a deer a year and a half ago, my left bar saved my engine from destruction.

Leave them on!

I can just hear the purists among us now...

Well-faired (and lowered) shafty Nick

Comment

Just be careful as to whether your "case savers" can move, at all, as it has often been the case where in a small tip over the mounts have either bent or moved and caused more damage than they would have saved, IMNSHO I prefer to just not drop my bike at all thereby removing the need for case savers all together, if you use ALL the techniques as taught by an MSF course you wont ever need them.
                  Dink

Comment

I dunno, Nick. I can't really agree with the "common sense" aspect of large fairings. If it comes to common sense, then no fairing would be needed while your bike sits in the garage on those windy and rainy days.

Not stirring anything up here - I can appreciate the convenience of having a touring fairing, but I don't even want to think about the added weight and added drag that comes from bolting a fiberglass sail to the front of my bike - and the money saved by installing case guards would be negated by the replacement cost of a big hunk-o-plastic.

But that's just my unsolicited opinion - I'd rather throw a pillow in my tank bag and hunker down....

-Q!

-Q!

Comment

Tom,
                      Just decide which you like best, the small fairing I have works great for anything I do, others want the huge one, age and personal preference come into play here, as with most subjects. Trial and error and just see which one tickles your interests. That is all I can say.

Michael

Comment

I agree, Michael. Age brings on the common sense I talk about. It's obvious to me QuaiChangKane just hasn't ridden enough to know. The first 10 of my 34 riding seasons I rode unfaired bikes. I was young and stupid then. Now I'm old and stupid, but protected.

You also don't realize, QuaiChangKane, that it may be very fine early one morning when going on a long trip, yet start raining in the middle of the day, in another part of the country. The fairing allows you to stay relatively dry for a long time, depending on how hard the rain comes down, while looking for shelter or a place to put on rain gear. I just went through the above scenario this weekend.

Enjoy your simple hunker-down days. Some day wisdom will finally hit you.

Arrogant Nick

Comment

Arrogant Nick
                          Obviously!

Comment

...and proud of it!

Nick

Comment

just trying to tell the man to try both and see which one he likes best and stick with it.

Reguardless of what I, or an Arrogant old Fart thinks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X