chassis reinforcements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chassis reinforcements?

I have a 1979 GS1000. I would like to ask if anyone done any gussetting to the frame of their bike? Do they need any stiffening? I am thinking of hard riding on the road and also making some track days.
    Thanks for your responses.

If you go to www.maximum-suzuki.com, there is a description of stiffening the chassis. It's for an early Katana, but should give you some ideas.

Comment

The gs1000 has probably the strongest frame of its era most race bikes over here had no extra bracing on frame apart from swing arm which we often replace with one made from box section this is stronger plus allows you to run 3 1/2 inch rear rim and a 140/18 rear tyre heaps better. 17 inch tend to flex in the sidewall when you push them to the limit a good fork brace never hurts or later forks if you can afford them the frame bracing in my opinion is a waste of money unless you are a real freddy spencer A- grade racer a good set of rear set pegs is a must .. have fun
      ozman

Comment

I once posted an atricle on the Yoshi race bike that had lots of pics. There was some frame bracing done on this bike.

I can't email the article because of the size - free hotmail restricts me to 1 meg. There may be some others here who downloaded the article who could help out.

Comment

The gs1000 has probably the strongest frame of its era most race bikes over here had no extra bracing on frame apart from swing arm which we often replace with one made from box section this is stronger plus allows you to run 3 1/2 inch rear rim and a 140/18 rear tyre heaps better.

All of that in one sentence. Whew! Hard to read! Have mercy on us old-timers; punctuate properly, folks!

17 inch tend to flex in the sidewall when you push them to the limit a good fork brace never hurts or later forks if you can afford them the frame bracing in my opinion is a waste of money unless you are a real freddy spencer A- grade racer a good set of rear set pegs is a must .. have fun

Had to read that twice. I agree with the conclusions, though.

Picky Nicky

Comment

okay,i.can.take,a.hint..will.punctuate,in.future..
            ozman

Comment

This site has a good section on chassis bracing http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/
              Once the page loads click on the GSX/EFE Katana icon in the left hand column. Then under Articles there is a link titled "Making the GSX frame stiffer" click on this and you will find instructions and great diagrams

Comment

chassis reinforcement?

Thanks all.

Comment

Also:

click on "tips & tricks", then "frame reinforcements".

Comment

Here is the link from oldskoolsuzuki...

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X