1981-82 GS650 HP rating/Muffler Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981-82 GS650 HP rating/Muffler Question

I've been researching my new bike and so far for the 1981-82 GS650 I'm finding two ratings: 65hp and 73 hp... Which is it? Is one gross and the other net? What's up w/ this? LOL. Also...I'm looking into mods to my exhaust and stuff, found the MAC systems and others, however my brother suggested that I just drill out the five small holes around the baffle in the ends of the stock mufflers...is this a mistake or will it do something worthwhile? Thanks people.

65 hp sounds closer to the mark, although I dont have any figures to show you. Yes drilling the ends of your pipes will make a difference, they will be louder and will rust out sooner. MAC brand systems have areputation as a good stock replacememnt system and generally dont require rejetting, as they are fairly restrictive , so if you are after a performance increase it may be better to look at other systems.
    Dink

Comment

the mac systems are fine, if you order the 4-1 system from the company directly you can order a competion baffel instead of the stock baffel this will give you all all the free flow you need. i also think they have 2 sizes of baffels a 1.5" and a 2". i have the 1.5" inch on my bike and it works fine and is loud but not to loud.

ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Considering a 550 is rated at 49 horsies and a 1,000 around 80, I would have guessed around 60 - 65 for a 650.

As for the 550 rating I've seen one or two things that state 54 for the E vs 49 for the L, but most give them both as 49. ????

Shark, I have a road test for a '81 or '82 650G from Cycle, if you're interested I can scan it in and e-mail it to you. Unfortunately no HP is listed, but it gives 1/4 mile times.

Comment

When I replaced the rusted-out exhaust on my 77 GS550, I went with a set of Mac 4-to-2 flared slip-ons, and reused my stock headers(they were still in really good shape). I bought them from MAW. It was the best price I could find on the net. I really liked the Mac's. They were consideribly louder than stock, but were not too loud. They had a really nice tone. They were not as restrictive as the stock exhaust, and added a little performance without rejetting. I was very happy with them and would definitely buy them again if I needed to. I just picked up a pair of Jardine 4-to-2 slip-ons on ebay and will see how they compare to the Mac's. From the pictures I have seen, they look nearly the same.

Comment

Working...
          X