In Search of a Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Search of a Tank

I recently purchased a 1980 GS550L, and I have found that the gas tank is slightly too small for my purposes. I would like to swap it out for a larger, and preferably newer styled teardrop shaped tank; however, my problem does not lie in the mechanics of it. I just flat out can't find the tank that I am looking for. Any hints as to where I could locate such an item would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the expensive route...

I'd just watch Ebay, or search for local salvage yards. If you've got a good fab shop or custom bike shop around, I'm sure they'd be happy to make a one-off tank for you (but you might have to take out a second on your house to finance it). If you can do a moderate amount of welding and fabbing on your own, just surf around and find the tank size and shape you're looking for from another bike, then check the online dismantlers for parts.

The dismantler I use - http://www.fremontcycle.com/

If you're looking to swap for a tank from another GS model, there are salvage yards in the UK that have better selection than we have - but the shipping will kill you.

Good luck,

-Q!

Comment

Working...
    X