Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poof - instant cafe racer

Hello all,

my apologies if this has been asked a million times, but any tips on converting my 81 GS850G into a cafe racer type bike would be much appreciated. (Including, of course, any advice along the lines of "don't do it, it'll be butt ugly and it'll ride like a door")

Here's my rough idea what it'll take:

Fairing... one of those univeral headlight mounted deals

Bars? would clip-ons fit? (any clip ons or specific ones?) Then there's a clubman bar, right? I assume that's a simple tubular bar but with a serious downard curve at the ends.

Tank ? something fittable from the GS line with knee indents?

Solo seat? custom reshaping? Anything buyable off the rack?

Exhaust? any 4-into-1 system that'll fit? Still make 'em? Anything used that'll retrofit? Or is kinda thing not cafe kosher?

Sorry to ask all this at once. If any of this works I and my bike (a 100,000+km former ugly touring beast) will be eternally greatful.

cheers,
    rob

Too bad you are starting with a shaftie. If you want the bike to handle well as it looks a chain is the way to go. If you want a touring machine a shaft is definetly superior.

I hope I didn't offend the shafties out there.

Comment

Swanny Wrote:
      I hope I didn't offend the shafties out there.
      Not me Buddy!! Opinions are free!!

Comment

Check out my site, maybe you'll get some ideas... I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Comment

Nice bikes Robin. I particularly like that GS750. Hey - all chains too!

Comment

Take a look at my semi-cafe 1000G, might give you some ideas!! It's the silver one, bottom right of the photo ... 8)

Comment

shaftzukie, looks like you have a simliar lower fairing like me.

where did you get yours?

Comment

Mark,
                That is one nice ride Buddy!! 8)

Comment

Thanks Michael!!

AOD - It's a "slightly modified" lockhart lower fairing off of an old VFR, picked it up on Ebay for $8.00 ... 8)

Comment

Michael - the fairing looks like the one you have. Is that the same one? IF so, I may have to pick one of those up for my sons bike. I've been looking for something like that.

He has the big rectangular headlight. Do you think I will have to swap a round one in?

Comment

These guys both sell replica bodywork (tanks, seatpans, boat tails, fairings):

The world's largest selection of caferacer, flattrack, and roadracing parts exclusively for vintage motorcycles. Seats, fairings, fuel tanks, fenders, and other classically styled fiberglass bodywork for vintage caferacer, flattrack, and road racing motorcycles.

And these guys sell custom metal body work:

Watch Ebay, too - I saw a complete 1-piece cafe body kit for sale two weeks ago - tank, seatpan with seat, boat tail - all fiberglass. Every now and then you'll see an older BMW or Ducati cafe fairing, too - they tend to be larger than the aftermarket stuff (i.e. Lockhart).

Just be prepared to do a little modification on any parts you order - unless you want to pay to have something made specifically for your bike. As for headlights - JC whitney sells clamp-on headlight ears for 5 bucks each, and you can use any round headlight you can find - it's just a matter of splicing some wires (and making sure it's not going to overload your electrical system).

Don't worry about your bike being a shaftie - cafe bikes didn't perform all that well when they were popular!! Okay, guys - don't kill me - you know it's true!!

And finally - don't forget that clubman bars go on upside down!!!

-Q!

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane

Don't worry about your bike being a shaftie - cafe bikes didn't perform all that well when they were popular!! Okay, guys - don't kill me - you know it's true!!

-Q!
                        But they did perform better than the bikes they were derived from and that was the point of building one.

For more bodywork look here: www.airtech-streamlining.com if you ask them nicely the'll even make it in carbon-fiber 8O :twisted:

Comment

True, true.

I think he still stands a fair chance of building a solid performer, minus a few ponies for the shaft. It's not like his frame is any sloppier than a CB750-K0, or an old Bonnie...

If you're going for a look - there are plenty of sources. If you're going for performance, I'd start with a 16v motor and a chain-drive. But you can make power with an 8v motor, and the shaft should still handle the power. Chain drive is great for changing gear ratios, and most shaft setups make for some slop in the swingarm, but I don't know about your particular bike. Progressive fork springs and aftermarket rear shocks will help - at least you already have triple disc brakes (SS hoses are a great upgrade).

And depending on your experience with other bikes, you might not notice your bike's shortcomings at all - it'll definitely handle better than a touring bike once it's stripped down and reworked...

Just have fun!

-Q!

Comment

Swanny,
                            I would guess you need a round light :roll:

Guess you could make it work but it would probably mess up your light pattern. :roll:

I don't know for sure.

Comment

Thanks to one and all for the help!

I'll get a pic of "edna" (my bike) up here as soon as i figure out how, for a little before-and-after action.

Hey, dumb question #7, but what about swapping my mag wheels for spokes for that retro look? (i need to replace my aging tires anyway... i vaguely know there's a difference as to which kinda tires work with spokes vs mags)

Would I lose any performance on spoke wheels? ( I dont have a lotta performance to spare... gotta be careful ) Would it be a straight swap at the salvage yard (or are those old mags worth about a $1.50, or vice versa?)

thanks for listening and for all the help

cheers,
                              rob

Comment

Working...
                              X