I Am In need of a tip or trick!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Am In need of a tip or trick!!

How in the world do you get the centerstand return spring stretched out enought to hook it on the centerstand????????????????????????????

A Mack truck maybe?? :roll:

unbolt the centerstand, hook spring up then pull on centerstand and line up the bolt holes. thats the way i was able to get it on there.

Comment

I tried that Rick, when I do that I cannot keep it pulled up tight enough to line up the bolts. I also had to drop the mufflers to get the bolts aligned, that was a job in itself!!

Thanks for the reply!
      Michael

Comment

Hey Michael - I hope you get it mounted. This is just one more reason why I hate center stands! I just HAD to say that. 8)

Comment

I'll get it eventually!!

Comment

Prop the stand in the up position so the springs will only have to be their shortest. Hook one side in postion then grab the other end with vise grips and pull towards you. You can get the most muscle into by pulling on the spring. They can be a pain.

Comment

I'm with Billy on this one . Used that on a heap of bikes. the other thing I used was a coat hanger ( wire) and double wrapped it around the hook of the spring and used the remaining length as purchase to wind around my hand and pull!

cheers Kat

Comment

Thanks guys!
                That is one stout spring I can tell you that!! :roll:

I hooked it on a huge nail drove into the floor joist in the basement and hung on the other end with a pair of vise grips with all my weight,

Did not budge!! And I am at 195lbs!! :roll:

I will try that tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                  Hey Michael - I hope you get it mounted. This is just one more reason why I hate center stands! I just HAD to say that. 8)
                  Whats a center stand 8O

Comment

Whats a center stand
                    It's the thing that just may be the death of me yet!!! :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelHoward
                      Whats a center stand
                      It's the thing that just may be the death of me yet!!! :twisted:
                      Maybe if i had one i would not have fallen so many times Mike

Comment

GOT IT FINALLY!!!

Comment

Just got back from San Jose - CONGRATS!

Comment

centre stands

defination of a centre stand...something designed to reduce cornering ability and slow riders down also designed to frustrate micheal howard
                            ozman

Comment

Originally posted by Katana
                              I'm with Billy on this one . Used that on a heap of bikes. the other thing I used was a coat hanger ( wire) and double wrapped it around the hook of the spring and used the remaining length as purchase to wind around my hand and pull!

cheers Kat
                              I haven't had to try it on the GS but I've had good luck using Brake spring pliers with various other bikes. I do it the same way they did except use brake spring pliers. The hook end goes on the spring and then the other end is used to find something past the point where I have to attach the spring and then pry the spring over and hook it using the pliers.

This gives quite a bit more leverage than just using vice grips but I always seem to have to try it a few times to find the place to pry against that will bring the spring to exactly where I need to go.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X