Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st reall trip away from the house succesfull

Hello Together(good German Idiom)!,

I made my 1st real trip away from the house today. I rode about 25 miles or so around town, and had good time.

I took MDole's advice about the DMV, and practiced on their cones for a few minutes. It took me, 3 or 4 attempts to make it through the course, but I finally did. It was kind of funny, there was a couple on a new Harley practicing there as well. It was about a 1200CC bike(there 1st bike), and they were having a tough go with it. Glad I settled on a "smaller" bike .

It was also my 1st day in traffic, and that was interesting, but not as bad as I expected. Although one lady in a mini-van almost pulled out in front of me(I saw her and was preparing for it). When she saw me, this look of terror came across here face, like "I'm fixing to do someting stupid", as she braked hard. Then she smiled and waved at me as I went by.

So, thus far, other than the broken clutch cable, and the fouled plugs(from me over oiling the air filter), I haven't had any problems with this bike, and am very happy with the $850 I spent on it. It runs decent, and looks nice(will be even better when I get the clear coat off the engine covers).

I think I'm about ready to take in into work. I just need a net or something to secure my lunch.

Thanks for all of the advice, on the bike, and on learing to ride. You have been very helpfull and encouraging.

Terry

When it comes to lunch,I found that a duffle bag with rain gear,any spare little tools,esp....Vice Grips,and maybe extra shirt incase it gets cool....
    well placed inside a duffle bag and of course your lunch in tuppaware containers. Then strap or tie the bag across the back seat works great if you don't have saddle or hard bags

Comment

Re: 1st reall trip away from the house succesfull

Originally posted by 92G
      I think I'm about ready to take in into work. I just need a net or something to secure my lunch.
      Terry
      I have a BagMan tank bag, works great for minor trips or the average trip to the store for last minute items.

Jim

Comment

Thanks guys,

I bought a net this weekend, but it's not going to holdmy lunch. I eat alot... The tank bag is definately on the list to.

Terry

Comment

Tank bag, definitely. I never leave home without it. Th' best thing since sliced bread. I have one of those Oxford Sports compact models. They unzip to make taller for those really big lunches. :twisted:
          Mine's black.

Robben

Comment

You might look into toss-over saddle bags. They are usually reinforced vinyl/nylon and you just lift the seat and toss them over the frame.

You could put them on top of the seat, but then they would have to be tied down. They don't need to be tied down if they are locked under the seat

Most bike shops will have them, plus you can shop on-line, or check e-bay.
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I use a Joe Rocket Magnetic mount tank bag that is expandable I always carry a rain suit though I don't stop and put it on as often as I should.

For longer rides and camping/rallies I also have a Chase Harper expandable tail pack that I put on the luggage rack. I have had this bag for about 10 years and it is getting sun faded so it looks bleached out and I have a few small tears where the bungee cord loops attach to the body of the bag. The tears are probably from years of abuse overloading the bag, but it has been very useful to have and has seen a lot of use over the years both on the back seat, mounted hanging off of the seat and resting on the rear fender, and on the luggage rack. I have used it on several bikes and it worked great on all of them. When I bought it had a different name and was listed as a Dual sport bag but this looks like the same bag. http://www.chaseharper.com/OffRoad/OffRoad.htm
              4250 Super Deluxe Hideaway.

I also have a bagman tank bag that I let my son use that is not magnetic and works well. It is also a good product that has lasted many years. I like the side pockets that it has but the Joe Rocket will carry more stuff.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 92G
                Thanks guys,

I bought a net this weekend, but it's not going to holdmy lunch. I eat alot... The tank bag is definately on the list to.

Terry
                Have you thought about a trailer?? 8)

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
                  Originally posted by 92G
                  Thanks guys,

Terry
                  8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

Comment

Originally posted by shaftzuki
                    I drive an F150, maybe I should just it load all up in the bed, lunch, bike, tank bag and all....

Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X