First "longer" ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First "longer" ride

Friday morning and I still wasn't certain I would take the 850 on the planned weekend run. We were heading home from St. John's, Newfoundland, to my home town of Burin, (round trip of 750 kms). Having only passed my driver's test a month ago, the farthest trip I have taken on the bke is about 100kms. I was ready to go, however my wife was less than enthuasic about being the pillion, but ensured me that she was fine to drive the cage.

So we left, in the middle of traffic and, after about 30 minutes, settled down to a pleasant, scenic ride. This lasted for about a half hour when my bike started acting up (See earlier posting in the Technial forum on this isue). My wife, unaware I was having difficulty, felt that my slow riding was the prefect opportunity to pass me and continue on the highway on her own! I, meanwhile, was sitting on the side of the road with a dead bike! After a few moments, and the help of a friend who stopped to help, I pressed the starte and the bike fired up and ran perfectly. Caught up with my wife at our planned gas stop and she was like "What took you so long?"

After gassing up, we turned off on the Burin Pennisula Highway. A barren, but very scenic run of about 150kms. No traffic and a winding two lane highway with many elevation changes, and brand new pavement less than 2 years before. We had left at a time that had us arriving just after dark at our destination, which meant we had this beautful sunset happening for a good portion of the ride.

I had become very comfortable at this point with the highway speeds and decided that I shuld see a little of what this bike cold do. At 150kms this bike is very stable and predictable for me. In entering a turn, I had confidence in the way the bike tracked. I am sure other bikes handle much better, but this bike fits like an old pair of jeans. Might not be the latest style or the jest jeans, but boy do they fit!

Arrived in Burin where we spent the weekend with a couple who are close friends of ours. We had a coupld short rides (far less tha planned) and on one ride we swapped my 850 for his Yamaha FZ1. That bike is a monster. Powerful, handles so good, and what brakes. Almost didn't want to get off, but once back on the 850, got to love those old jeans.

Sunday we departed on the return trip, which was a repeat of Friday with the weather being amazing and trafic very light.

All in all, this was an excellent trip for me. I see many more to come and the distance to start increasing as my skills improve. Now if only my wife would sit on the back for those rides......
Working...
X