Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It never hurts to have...........

......friends in high places.

There's a country store and gas station about 25 miles from my house that sits in the middle of farmlands and orange groves. I stop there every so often on my weekend rides for gas or a snack etc. About two weeks ago, I stopped for a soda and the owners dog was there, wandering around loose on the property. The boy is a big Akita and after a few minutes of conversation, I had him leaning on me and getting his head scratched and playing. After about 30 minutes, I continued on my Sunday afternoon ride.
    Tonight, about 7pm, I felt like taking a short ride. Its a quiet, traffic free ride to this little store 25 miles out, so I headed out there. The store is closed when I arrive and there is only a single light post in the parking lot. I coast the bike under the light, put the stand down and am standing there cleaning my faceshield when I hear growls. Looking up, I see two large Akitas emerging from the darkness and its obvious that I'm the object of their attention. :-) I've never seen either of them before, but I quickly assume the store owner leaves these two to "patrol" the store at night.
    Their stance says, we have you and youre not leaving. It appears to be a standoff. As long as I dont push it, they wont. I try to appear to be ignoring them for the moment while attempting to think this thing out. :-) :-)
    As I am standing there thinking, a 3rd Akita comes into the light and stops for a second, staring at me. The 3rd one continues forward and stops in front of me, looks up and says, "oh, its you". He then puts his head on my leg and leans against me for his head scratch and ear rub. It was my friend from two weeks ago. As I rub his ears, he straightens up, pulls away and steps between me and the other two, and growls at them with a
    believably serious tone. They look at him for a moment, but do nothing.
    He then growls with much more emphasis and the other two drop their heads and walk away. The guy then comes back for the remainder of his ear scratching and head rub session which I am happy to do. :-)
    I seems that while he is not the biggest, he is the oldest and in charge. :-)
    You just never know what a pat on the head and a friendly greeting can do for you and friends come in all shapes, and sizes. :-)

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

It's amazing - they do remember, and will let you know (one way or another)!! 8)

Comment

You had me sweating with that one Earl.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
        Yeah! The way Earl described it, it was like watching a movie.
        Just more proof how a little kindness can reap big rewards.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I was thinking...CUJO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O

pmint 8)

Comment

Earl,

Even though I can't remember who I met last week. I have found that even dogs that I haven't seen for a year or more still remember me. I can't remember if I could ever remember who I met last week or not but I know I have never been good at remembering names. Now with Midheimers practicing for Alzheimer?s it?s only worse. But it doesn't seem like dogs are susceptible to this particular malady.

Mike

Comment

Yep, while their attention span may be short compared to a person, they have a very good long term memory. Also, if they decide they like you, they'll never listen to what someone else gossips about you. :-) The next time I'm out that way, I'll be going with a pocket full of biscuits. :-)

Earl

[quote="mdole"]Earl,

But it doesn't seem like dogs are susceptible to this particular malady.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

So Scotty, does this mean you dont want to take any night rides to say hello to the local sentry dogs? :-)

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke

Comment

Recently I had some friends visit that lived next to us 4 years ago. I tought thier dog all the regular tricks and one other. I have her sit and place a doggie treat on her nose. She cant have it till I say OK. they had never been able to get her to do that after they moved. She did it for me after 5 minutes of playing around.

Comment

Working...
                  X