Electrical socket in the trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical socket in the trunk

I have completed a little project of installing a standard automotive electrical outlet in the trunk of my 1981 GS450E. I made a little web page to tell folks what I did with instructions and tips if anyone else wants to do similarly.

I invite any keen observations yalls can make to improve the article. I stayed up all night writing it 8O and I have proofread it, but I'm sure I missed something.

Take care,
    Michael

Well one keen observation would be that when I click on your link all I get is the header banner and no article.

Comment

web trouble

There was a bit of web trouble... but it's all fixed now. It's them free providers...

Anyway, check it again.

Comment

That's pretty darn cool. The GS550 doesn't have a trunk though.

Satch

Comment

I wonder what else you could do in the line of cool electrical accessories...

Comment

I don't see any reason why you couldn't mount an outlet under the gas tank or with the instrument cluster if you want to. to go under the gas tank, you would have to use a hose clamp instead of drilling holes, but it could work. Hey, maybe you could even get a radar detector or a big, fat CB. hehe. That would be funny. If you get the CB, you have to get the biggest antenna you can find. Hey, might as well go all-out.

Michael

Comment

10-4 good buddy.

I think operating it with a full-face on at 100kph would be a bit much though.

Satch

Comment

Yeah, riding and enjoying the view is a full-time job. You could always put a VOX unit on it, though.

[ ... he said, proving that total futility is no hinderance to a fool ... ]

Michael

Comment

nice work...

so the trunk on that bike....does it just flip from front to back.....?

when i first got my 82 650G i thought i had a trunk then i realized the key slot was to pop the seat so i thought i didn't but looking at the images on your site it looks awful familiar to the tail on my bike....

of course i'm at work and won't be able to take another look for another 6 or 7 hrs which will drive me crazy...any GS buffs able to confirm or deny for me so i wont drive myself crazy for the next 6+ hrs...

help

Phil

Comment

No, it doesn't flip. The trunk is exposed when you lift up the seat. Then there's a little cover you stick your finger through and pull it out.

You can see the trunk in place in this image:

Michael

Comment

Three things...
                      1) Your wiring of the outlet does not provide any fuse protection... anywhere. The connection to the starter relay comes directly from the battery, no fuse in between. You might want to put a 3-5 amp fuse in-line(up to but not exceeding the rated value of the outlet itself), as close to the starter relay as possible.
                      2) Your wiring diagram shows your positive connection coming off the the Regulator/Rectifier's red wire. Your physical wiring has it on the starter relay.
                      3) In the First Things First section, under "Ignition only?"
                      I figure I'll just have to remember to not leave heavy loads on while the bike isn't running (and thereby constantly charging the battery).
                      Shouldn't that say "and therby constantly discharging the battery"?

Comment

Three things...
                        1) Your wiring of the outlet does not provide any fuse protection... anywhere. The connection to the starter relay comes directly from the battery, no fuse in between. You might want to put a 3-5 amp fuse in-line(up to but not exceeding the rated value of the outlet itself), as close to the starter relay as possible.
                        2) Your wiring diagram shows your positive connection coming off the the Regulator/Rectifier's red wire. Your physical wiring has it on the starter relay.
                        3) In the First Things First section, under "Ignition only?" Quote:
                        I figure I'll just have to remember to not leave heavy loads on while the bike isn't running (and thereby constantly charging the battery).

Shouldn't that say "and therby constantly discharging the battery"?
                        1) and 2) Well, you got me there. Thanks. You saved me a little meltdown, methinks.

Here is a diagram I hadn't looked at before. This means that the main load circuit is NOT fuse protected, right--only the battery? So I really should install a small fuse just for my outlet. And I suppose I should consider putting a fuse on the whole dang thing...

3) I'll see if I can make that more clear.

THANKS SO MUCH!

Michael

Comment

That fuse protects everything but the starter circuit and the charging system (maybe ignition too). The connection you attached your positive to comes directly from the battery. A good place actually, but it really should have a fuse on it.

Comment

OK. I've put a fuse inline with my socket and have corrected my article. Have a look if you want.

Michael

Comment

Good work. I have had a cigarette lighter socket under the seat of the Gs for 20 years. Mainly for running camping lights (a fluro). I havent actually used it to keep the mobile charged as yet...I dont get away that long these days!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X