Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more help on GS650L handlebars requested

Hi, y'all,

I love my GS650L, but after only about 60 miles or so, my wrists hurt. I have read many postings about people not liking those handlebars, and I saw an article from last month from someone named "skyshark" who said he installed some "Daytona/Sportbike" style bars and loved them. I wrote him a PM (to not clutter the list) to ask where he bought them, and if he had a part number or anything... but, a nudge in the right direction was all I was wondering about...

I did a google search on "daytona handlebars" and got one hit, a private website for someone's documentation of a trip, with pictures of his yamaha with "daytona handlebars"... so, that didn't work.

Anyway, I have not gotten a reply back from skyshark so I wont' bug him further... I am still hoping to try and find something a little more 'classic' than 'cruiser' since these are giving me (and most other people I think) trouble.

Anyone point me to some nice, half-as-much-height, half-as-much-angle bars that I might be able to buy and install?

Thanks for any suggestions.

minor correction on handlebar submission

Hey all,

I wanted to apologize, I got "skyshark" wrong; his identifier was "flyingshark"... Still not heard from him, but maybe he is lurking and never got my original post to him or something. Can you share any info on your experiences?

Also, FYI, I am loving this GS650L so much I am likely to sell my little XS360 next Spring... the riding season is likely about over, and selling the little devil may be a lost cause now... But, this GS is gonna be awesome if i can put some more comfortable bars on it.

Thanks.

Comment

try ebay, i found new bars for 24$$$

Comment

Most of the parts houses carry various bars. What I think you are looking for are "superbike" bars. Try the K&N site, I do believe they give all the dimensions for their bars.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
          Most of the parts houses carry various bars. What I think you are looking for are "superbike" bars. Try the K&N site, I do believe they give all the dimensions for their bars.
          The Daytona height = 3" pullback = 7" center = 5" width = 29.5"
          The Super Bike h=2.5" pull = 5" center = 4.5" width = 29"

I got my Daytona bars at New Mexico Motorcycle that is a salvage lot, accessory shop, and repair shop. The advantage of finding some in a shop are that you can take the bars out and hold them over your triple clamp to get an idea of the difference from the bars you a currently running.

I would try looking at independent shops they tend to stock more of the after market bars.

Mike

Comment

thanks, Guys,

I agree that getting a good idea of how they should 'look and feel' is probably not a bad idea before buying... however, I have started a seach on ebay for 'daytona bars' and will keep an eye on it.

BTW, is "daytona bars" a BRAND NAME, or a STYLE?

Thanks again.

Comment

Super Bike, Daytona and such are styles. The Daytona bars that I got were made by Flanders.

Mike

Comment

Daytona bars

I recently swapped out the bars on my '81 450L. I found a 'Daytona type' bar at a local cycle shop for less than $20 new. Two main concerns I ran into. First, the clutch cable is way too long and you will need a shorter one; second, I suffer from carpel tunnel on my wrists and have since gone back to the stock bars. While my back seemed to like the riding position, my wrists did not. If you do find a bar that you like I will share one other tip. There is a small hole on each side to keep the switches in place, you will need to drill a small hole for the tab in your new bars. Good Luck! Go Hawkeyes! Dave J. (former Iowegian)

Comment

A week ago i scored a brand new set of Daytona bars on ebay for $22 plus $8 shipping. They arrived as advertised, but now I'm finding I like the look and feel of the stock ones more than I had before... So, I may think about it before I actually try a swap. Go figure! And, they sure do look good. My wrists had hurt right after I bought the bike, but I think it was simply building up the right muscle strength with the new bar angles... Now they feel good.

If anyone reading this would decide they want my new bars, they could mail me and I'd give 'em up for what I got in them.

Anyway, thanks for the tip about the pilot hole, I'd not have thought about that.

And, the Hawkeyes play Perdue this weekend... It will be a tough game!

Go HAWKS!

Comment

I checked out your photo sight. Nice looking bike! I did notice that your bars are at the same wierd angle that mine were when I bought my bike this summer. The hand position is up too high and I also found that uncomfortable. I loosened mine and lowered them so the hand grips were more or less parallel with the top of the tank. This brought my hands down to a more natural angle. You might want to give that a try. Dave J.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, Dave. I had considered doing it ,but had not gotten around to getting it done. I'll have to do that and see how it feels.

Sadly, our riding season is about over, so I'll have all winter to 'garage ride' the bike and pretend I am cruising! LOL... Winter in Iowa... Oh, to be in FLORIDA!

p.s. Thanks for the bike compliments... not a perfect bike, but for $250 I did good. I have more wrapped up in it now, with new tires, carb cleaning and sync (I'm too new at this to do it myself) and accessories I found... but, not much above the $1/cc value... But, if this bike is ANYWHERE NEAR as BULLETPROOF as they are reported to be, I'll be happy for a LONG, long time.

~W

Comment

Working...
                      X