Airscrew Removal, Another Option.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airscrew Removal, Another Option.

Here's a little secret I just found out, if you have a drill press. Make sure carb is level and flat, a drill press vise works excellent, chuck up a 1/8 in drive high quality bit into drill. While using the pressure of the drill press as you are pulling the handle down, grab the chuck in the other hand and back out the screw. With pressure from the drill press it's near impossible for the bit to slip. I also have taken a file to my bit to make the sides more square to the surface. Most bits are tapered which allows them to climb and slip, if you file the bit flat at the edges it will bite the slot much better. When I discovered this I dug out some old carbs which I had given up on and tried it. They came out using this method. Remember these carbs are aluminum and too much pressure may strip the threadsif not allowed to back out..

Another cool option!

Hi,

I discovered yet another easy and effective option for removing stubborn screws and bolts, especially if you don't have a drill press or don't want to remove the offending part from the bike. I was having difficulty with the timing cover on my '80 GS550L -- even with a brand new phillips bit and firm even pressure on the driver the screws just wouldn't break free.

As I was sitting there wishing for an impact gun it occurred to me that I had a viable alternative. My 18 volt Ryobi cordless drill has a clutch built into the chuck, and by starting at the weakest setting and slowly adding "grab" I was able to simulate the effect of an impact driver! Sure enough, each screw came out with amazingly little drill pressure -- I think I had the clutch set to "5" out of about 15 settings (15 being the completely "engaged" position).

It turned out to be a slick and simple solution for a "sticky" problem! Hope this is helpful! 8)

Comment

Anybody try a Dremel. Worked great for me, for many jobs to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
        Hi,

I discovered yet another easy and effective option for removing stubborn screws and bolts, especially if you don't have a drill press or don't want to remove the offending part from the bike. I was having difficulty with the timing cover on my '80 GS550L -- even with a brand new phillips bit and firm even pressure on the driver the screws just wouldn't break free.

As I was sitting there wishing for an impact gun it occurred to me that I had a viable alternative. My 18 volt Ryobi cordless drill has a clutch built into the chuck, and by starting at the weakest setting and slowly adding "grab" I was able to simulate the effect of an impact driver! Sure enough, each screw came out with amazingly little drill pressure -- I think I had the clutch set to "5" out of about 15 settings (15 being the completely "engaged" position).

It turned out to be a slick and simple solution for a "sticky" problem! Hope this is helpful! 8)
        I like this idea... never used it for removing but when I replaced all my case bolts with socket-heads I used a cut alan-key in the screw gun. Worked great for me! \\/

Comment

I had a problem with the air pilot screw coming out...would screw in...but would only go out so far...also stripped a little from the stealer...
          I first went and got a 5/64 drill bit, and screw extractor....broke two drill bits..ARGH!...tried again, got a little dimple in the screw...took a star ( I dont know what it's called..) 6 pointed screw driver type thing...smallest one, tapped it in, screwed right out..
          Maybe I just got lucky:-D
          BTW...never even used the screw extractor...
          Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2006, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by speedzter2000
            took a star ( I dont know what it's called..) 6 pointed screw driver type thing...smallest one, tapped it in, screwed right out..
            Maybe I just got lucky:-D
            BTW...never even used the screw extractor...

torx bit\\/

Comment

Originally posted by gotjeepzj
              torx bit\\/
              LOL Now I remember..8-[ Thank you:-D

Comment

Working...
              X