"Gunk"- Safe for m'cycle engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Gunk"- Safe for m'cycle engines?

Hey guys, I plan on cleaning (hosing) down my 1100E engine after replacing the o-rings in the tach cable drive, from where some oil has leaked out. I picked up a spray can of 'Gunk' endine degeaser to get the engine clean, but I have since heard that it might strip off the factory clear coat on parts of the engine, esp. on the cases etc.
    Any truth to this? What method do you use to degrease & clean the engine?
    Thanks,
    Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

I've used engine degreaser on my 1100 with no noticeable problems. I'm not sure if it was Gunk or not. I just didn't go hog wild with it though. Try to keep it off painted surfaces and basically just on the engine and it worked fine for me. The clear coat on my case covers lasted for close to twenty years before starting to look shabby but I just stripped it all off and polished and buffed them out.

Comment

I use "Simple Green" to clean mine... spray, let sit, spray off.
      So far... so good.

Jim

Comment

I've used Gunk many times over the years, and have never had any problems that I noticed - apart from the smell! Just brush it in and wash off with water. I only usually use it for very dirty/greasy jobs - don't use it indoors because of the smell, it will spread everwhere.

Comment

Thanks guys, for all the helpfull replies!
          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

While kind of on the same subject. DO NOT use Castrol Super Clean on your bike!!! It etches aluminum really bad.

Comment

GUNK

GUNK IS SAFE. OLD DETAILERS USED TO POUR A CAPFUL OF KEROSENE INTO THEIR WASH BUCKET TO ADD A LITTLE CORROSION PROTECTION TO PLACES THAT WERE HARD TO GET TO.

Comment

Working...
              X