Rippin out the old wires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rippin out the old wires.

I replaced my coils with a set of 95 GSX-R (thanks Billy Ricks). I wanted new wires and caps on them. I also wanted to see if the old wires would come out of a junk set of GS coils that I have.

Step one. Cut the wires off about 2" from the coils.
    2. shave off the old glue around the base of the coil wire. Don't crack it off as some of the coil plastic will go with it. This will help loosen the wire.

3. Pull firmly on the wire till it pops out. Dont cut or anything like that. It will pop out.
    4. the thin insulating layer and some glue are still in the hole. Use a 1/4 drill bit to pull it out. At a low speed run the drill bit no more than 1/2 way down into the hole and pull at the same time. The old glue will break free allow it to pop out.
    5. Some old glue is still in the hole. Run the drill bit in the hole till it grinds out.

You should be all set to slide new 7mm wires right down on the pin inside. If you did not go too far with the drill bit the pin should be fine. Make sure you use a good new section of wire. used ends of old wires will be enlarged and too hard to push into the hole. The new wires will have to be glued in place or secured with tape to keep them in.

I got some new NGK caps and 7mm copper core wire to use with the 95 GSX-R coils. I now have a system that works better than ever. With the yellow wires and new caps on no one should be the wiser. It looks like I have some expensive equipment under the tank. I spent a total of $45.00 for everything. If you use your old coils you should be able to do it for under $25.00. The caps are $15.00 if you have some extra wire to use. I highly recomend replacing the caps. See my tip on get yourself some new caps to see why.

THERE IS a pin inside the hole. Usually the wire is SOLDERED to this pin

Comment

Not on the three pairs I've ripped out.

So far I've tore out three sets with no solder. Once the holes are clean only the pin remains. The three sets I have seen have sharp nail like pins that pierce right into the end of the new wire.

Comment

No solder on the original set of coils on my bike either. Can't imagine how they would even accomplish that.

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pic.php?t=9201 for more detail

Comment

Working...
          X