Got used Rear Crash Bars-Need HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got used Rear Crash Bars-Need HELP!

Got some nice rear crash bars-yeah, I know, some of you will say just leave them off- but I know someone will come to the rescue. I can't figure out the hardware to mount the bottom end. Do any of you have a detailed picture of the lower part of the luggage. I looked through the entire gallery, but the pics didn't have enough detail. The bike is a GS850GL with Vetter luggage, so I might have to do some engineering. You can see the bike in the 1980 gallery. Thanks!

Rats!!!

They just won't work with the Vetter bags. Looks like they would work with square type luggage like the K pkg. Very similar to what they were putting on GoldWings in early '80s.

Comment

You know, we need more folks that can answer their own questions!! :roll: 8)

Comment

Yeah, I talk to myself, too.

Trial & Error, Mark, trial & error.

Comment

Actually, Joe, Vetter bags will go on there, but, as you suggested, some modification is rquired.

Depending on which Vetter bags you have, they may have a piece at the back that extends from the main body of the bag.

That's the way mine were, and there was no way they would fit.

The extension came off with a few minutes and a small saw, leaving an irregular hole, but a comparatively flat back.

An aluminum sheet cut to fit the inside exactly was rivetted in place, then the interior was heavilly scuffed to hold the intended resin, and fibreglass cloth laid over it, then the resin brushed on. Same on the outside, with extra cloth to partly fill the cavity created by the edge of the hole. Then the bags were drilled to fit the lower bolt holes, painted and installed.

The rear mountings had to be fabricated...sort of...I used a large rubber shock mount as a spacer, and cut it to the necessary angle, and wide spacer washers on the inside, and bolted everything on. The rear signal mounts had to be extended backwards on my 1100G.

If you look only at the repair work, it is NOT a pretty job, but when the bags are mounted on the bike, you cannot see any part of the repair work, and the extended signal lights fit the rear bag cavity quite well.

Once mounted, the Vetters will extend beyond the edge of the crash bars by a couple of inches, but they have an upside, too....they have more space than the original Suzuki bags, and have easier access.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I like the idea...

Don't suppose you have a picture of the end result. Did your rear bars have a tubular bumper that wrapped around the back? Sound like you did since you mention rear mounts.

Comment

I can't give you a picture of the bags mounted, as I took them off in order to gain space in the garage to fit the GK in there.

I bought the bars on e-bay. they were off a GS1100GK, so, yes they had the wrap around bumper, and were all Suzuki parts, except for the scrape on the one bar, which was done by the previous owner

The mention of the "rear" mounts was misleading. I meant the mounts at the back of the bags where they attach to the bike. The entire GK crashbar/bag-mount was used. I also bought a GK rear rack for it, and put that on the bike, too, but never put a trunk on it.

The other bike (84 GS1100GK) is fully equipped, except for the fairing lowers.

Will photo the bags and send it to you by e-mail.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
              X