Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to keep a helmet looking nice??

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on how to keep a helmet looking real nice and shiny with minimal scratches, besides just being careful and not falling. Can you wax them? I just want to avoid the look that comes with everyday use. Thanks.

--Tyler

Use Plexus on it. Just spray it on and wipe it off with a soft cloth. Works great for getting off bug juice too.
    Doze.

Comment

I do the same thing. Great stuff!

Comment

Wax mine every spring. Clean the bugs off right after a ride, since the acid in the dead critters eats paint if ignored. Once in awhile, I'll Pledge it, including the visor (wax and pledge). Except for a couple stone chips, and I think they were small boulders, m'self, the thing still looks almost brand new. (Shoei's 7 years)

Robben

Comment

replace it every two or three years.

Comment

Buy 2 helmets - one for everday use and one for those special formal occassions were you need to look your best!! 8)

Comment

Very Disappointing

A very disappointing result 5 replies and not a single polishing your helmet joke

tsk tsk tsk

Comment

Re: Very Disappointing

Originally posted by Uncle Satan
                A very disappointing result 5 replies and not a single polishing your helmet joke

tsk tsk tsk
                And yours makes 6... :? I've never found anything humorous about polishing the helmet, m'self. It's just a little necessary chore if I want it to look new. After spending a chunk of change on it, I'd like to think it looks great until the day I need it to save my brain...

Now I did notice a couple joking around type posts regarding helmet buying...

Robben

Comment

I *almost* posted one right away, but I decided that I sounded like a real smartass. So I cancelled it.

But now that someone's broken the ice:

"Staying on the bike usually helps."

Michael

Comment

Re: Very Disappointing

Originally posted by robben
                    I've never found anything humorous about polishing the helmet, m'self. Robben
                    Oh it must mean something different on your side of the pond then
                    Nathan

Comment

Figures that Uncle Satan would be tempting us into discussing a sin.

Now I never know about a good helmet polishing. I've only done it once or twice myself, and now that I have a steady girlfriend, I let her do all the polishing, she seems to get good satisfaction out of knowing that my helmet is good and polished, so that when I take her for a ride we look good together.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That might have taken it too far, I apologize, it's early.

Satch

Comment

Wax mine every spring. Clean the bugs off right after a ride, since the acid in the dead critters eats paint if ignored. Once in awhile, I'll Pledge it, including the visor (wax and pledge). Except for a couple stone chips, and I think they were small boulders, m'self, the thing still looks almost brand new. (Shoei's 7 years)

Robben
                        Now, that would be the Boy Scout Pledge, right?
                        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                          ... Once in awhile, I'll Pledge it, including the visor (wax and pledge)....
                          Robben
                          Now, that would be the Boy Scout Pledge, right?
                          Ahhhhh, wax ON / wax OFF grasshoppah...

I pledge, to do my duty, to wax my helmet each spring, to make the grasshoppah's slide right off, ... uhhh, bin awhile since I was in Scouts. How did that thing go again??

Robben

Comment

On my honour
                            I promise that I will do my best
                            To do my duty to God and the Queen
                            To help other people at all times,
                            And to carry out the spirit of the Scout Law

And for secondary reading on the subject of helmet polishing, I believe there was a comprehsensive book (and maybe even a movie) with the
                            ti tle " On Golden Palm".
                            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Helmet Wax

Great topic - Yeah, me and my chrome dome can stand on my head too but seriously, I've been riding bikes for 38 years and have been polishing helmets for the same.

Ya'all grab a can of "Liquid Glass" rub small amount all over helmet, let dry and polish with soft cloth. Even takes scratches out and I have yet to come across a bug that stayed stuck to the helmet.

Maybe we have different bugs up here in Eastern Canada, but after a ride, wipe helmet with a soft cloth and "voila" bug residue will be gone.

I also use "Liquid Glass" on all parts of the bike, even pipes. hope you all can get some to try, you'll be amazed.

Comment

Working...
                              X