bleeding brakes and No pumping !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bleeding brakes and No pumping !!

you will need a long clear hose ( fish tank hose is good so you can see what is going on !! ) connect one end to the brake caliper . undo the master cylinder cap and hold the other end " in the brake fluid ", now undo the bleed screw and watch the bubbles appear from the hose in the master cylinder , the brakes are now bleeding on there own and the is no need to pump the brakes !! just keep the fluid topped up and the hose under the fluid level , when bubbles stop the brake is bled and retighten the bleed valve.

If you know someone that works in a hospital, I.V. tubing works well too

Comment

Just a question. as this works, then after the bubbles stop shouldnt fluid start to fill the hose telling us that is is done and OK to close the bleeder screw???

Comment

yes as the air is bled the fluid will appear in the hose at the caliper being bled ,so keep the fluid topped at the master cylinder ..and then close the valve, i have used this many times and have a good brake pedal and the spongy lever has gone ..

Comment

so it's just a hose from the bleed screw inot the resivor cup????

Comment

Nope.
            You have a second container.

Attach a piece of clear tubing to the end of the bleeder. Put the other end into a container (glass is good 'cause brake fluid won't hurt it) into which you pour an inch of fresh brake fluid. Make sure the end of the tube is submerged.
            Now loosen the bleed screw.
            You will get bubbles in the container as air is forced (by gravity) from the brake lines. When clear brake fluid (no bubbles) appears in the tubing, close the bleeder.
            Make sure you keep an eye on the master cylinder fluid level. Don't let it fall too low or you get nice, fresh air bubbles in the lines.

Comment

It's a good way to flush the system also

Comment

This works GREAT!
                I have bled a bazillion old cars and bikes in my day and never heard this tip before! I always had to enlist a coupla people around to help.
                Thanks!

Comment

I was under the impression that fluid will not go through the system unless the brake lever is pulled, I've changed my fluid a thousand times using a clear tube coming from the brake bleeder into a clear jar with about an inch or two of fluid, one hand pumping the brake lever and the other loosening and tightening the bleeder valve. There are pumps you can buy that attach to the bleeder and you have to depress the brake lever and pump all old fluid as well as any air out. I'm just having a hard time understanding how you bled the system without depressing the brake lever? If you have good seals in your resevoir it shoud'nt run out of the bleader without unless the brake lever is in. If there is something Im not understanding please enlighten :?

Comment

You do need to pump the brake lever (at least the way I do it), but you can do it from a comfortable position. I use a clear plastic pop bottle for this task - I'm less likely to break it. (Grin) The fluid in the bottle isn't just so you can see the bubbles, it's to prevent air from being sucked back into the hose.

Dave

Comment

The way i have described here the is no need to pump the brake , just put the end of your bleed hose into the fluid in the master cylinder( this replaces the bottle/container normally used ) making sure the end is under the fluid !!, open the bleed valve and the brakes will bleed on their own.

Comment

amazing! so the brake fluid defies the laws of physics and drains uphill (to the reservoir)?
                        and the bubbles dont rise to the top, but instead sink to the bottom of the system and come out the bleeder?
                        and the brake fluid also gets past your piston seal?
                        it must be a northern hemisphere thing. It wouldn't work down here in the South.

Comment

Originally posted by martin
                          amazing! so the brake fluid defies the laws of physics and drains uphill (to the reservoir)?
                          and the bubbles dont rise to the top, but instead sink to the bottom of the system and come out the bleeder?
                          and the brake fluid also gets past your piston seal?
                          it must be a northern hemisphere thing. It wouldn't work down here in the South.
                          Down here you've got to have the tube coiled in the other direction. :-)
                          It also helps to have a left-brain personality.

Kim

Comment

Hi

I have bleeded the brakes the tube metod since 1974,
                            has always worked great.On cars and motorsycles.
                            But I have always squeezed the handle or pumped the pedal.
                            Here in Norway you can bay small complete sets to bleed the brakes.
                            (container- tube and one way valve).

Gs1000GLx

Comment

ToddB3

The seals in the resevoir are to prevent the brake fluid from leaking out around the piston(plunger) not to stop it from entering the brake lines. When you pull in on the handle/push on the pedal you are pressurizing the lines to engage the brake pads/shoes. If you open a bleeder valve there is a open path from master cylinder/resevoir to the outside.

scotto58

Comment

Working...
                              X