Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Gloves

I searched but couldn't find a discussion of this:

Now that it?s getting colder, I?m thinking of picking up some winter gloves to wear in cold and wet weather. I?d like them to have a good gauntlet and be water/wind proof. They need to be pre-curved or very flexible to retain control.

Does anyone have some that they could suggest?

I started using my HJC snowmobile gloves about a week ago as it got colder. They are a leather grip, gauntlet style glove, thin enough to retain control, but with a thinsulate lining since they are made for sledding. They keep the wind from going up my sleeve.

Some mornings up here have dropped below freezing already but by afternoon it is up to 50-60 deg.

Just my $0.02

Comment

Snowmobile gloves are the way to go, I have some no namers that are thin enough, and plenty warm.

Comment

I use Vetter Hippo Hands, which allows me to continue wearing summer gloves throughout the year. Go to eBay, search under "Vetter", and you may find a set of Hippos for sale. They really do the job.

I just got my Hippos down from the attic. Ready to go on the handlebars at a moment's notice. All I have to do is remove the mirrors, slip the Hippos on, and velcro them tight. No more cold hands.

By the way, I wear cheap leather gloves I find at Walmart or any hardware store -- year round.

The Hippo Hands were a Christmas present when I still had the Moto Guzzi, back in the early 80's. They still work just fine.

Nick

Comment

Has anybody seen a pair of waterproof hunters gloves? I'm talking about the ones with 3 fingers :P I tried a pair of snowmobile mitts a couple weeks ago but my hands were sweating and although it was easy to use the levers it was tricky to get my fingers wrapped around the bar.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

FYI- I bought a pair of the Joe Rocket Radiant 2.0 Gloves after researching the opinion sites. They rated pretty high, and I agree. They are not too bulky to work the controls, and they are warm as heck. I especially like the 'draw string' on the cuff. Makes putting them on a breeze. The cuff is nice and long to cover the ends of my jacket too.

Cost was 70 bucks... that's the only down side. I am not disappointed.

Comment

I use "snowboarder" gloves.
              $10 for Head brand at Bj's wholesale club.

Long gauntlet, grippy stuff on the palms and fingers, not too bulky.
              They don't breathe well, so your hands will sweat.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

It turns out that Choko sells "Claws". They are the 3 fingered mitts mentioned earlier. They are a guantlet style with a visor squeegee built into the left mitt. Unlike the army version with a single trigger finger these mitts have two fingers in each claw in order to keep warm.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  I use Vetter Hippo Hands, which allows me to continue wearing summer gloves throughout the year. Go to eBay, search under "Vetter", and you may find a set of Hippos for sale. They really do the job.

Nick
                  Sportsman's Guide carries top-quality discount Outdoor and Hunting Gear, Guns, Ammo, Fishing Supplies and more - all at great low prices!

I just ordered these. I am going to see if I can adapt them to a motorcycle. Looks like I will at least have to cut-and-stitch around the mirror stems.
                  Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                  80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I also suggest going to a ski shop or outdoors store to find waterproof, gauntleted (is that a word?) gloves.

Comment

I wear the same gloves and just flip the grip heater switch to either " HI or LOW" depending on the tempurature 8) ...oops thats the BMW not the Suzuki, Never Mind

Comment

I have a pair of Mountain Hardwear gloves. Best gloves ever. They are designed for ice climbing and are extremely warm, comfortable and pre-curved. Carefull though, they cost about $140.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Sheesh, I guess I'm old school.
                          Standard issue GI cold weather gloves. Leather outers, wool inners, work great.

Comment

I bought some 20 dollar thinsulate deerskin gloves with no gauntlet, and they dont work too bad....I havent had cold fingers yet, and its gone to minus for many nights in a row now.

Comment

I used some J.R. Ballistic Gloves last year. They are Ok, but getting the wind off my hands with a windscreen was what really made the difference.

I'm actually looking forward to the cold weather.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X