change your own tires !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change your own tires !!

this handy site shows you how to make your own tire changer ...

britman !!!
    EXCELLENT FIND !!!!! See if Frank would put that url in the Garage section for posterities sake !!!! MANY people will use it !

Comment

I went thru this doc and it works well, just a couple of comments. I found my bench vice worked better at breaking the bead then the thing he made up. Also, don't try to do this task without high quality tire levers.

Comment

Now I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but the only time I've needed to change a tire (or more to the point, fix a flat) is on the side of the road, which sadly is usually a long way from my workshop.

Any other time I can take it to my favourite shop and if I'm buying new tires or want the old ones removed prior to painting/powder coating/re-chroming my rims, they'll usually do it for free

Although it looks ok, and would be good for a racer I guess, I just can't think of a time when I'd have any use for this device. :?

Comment

What a timely article! I recently ordered two new Dunlops for my '81 850, rcvd the front 2 days later, took the front off and went to the local dealer to get a tube...decided to just let them install and balance it without knowing the price...$53 and change! They are the only place in town that does bike tires and they'll never see me darken thier doors again! And I had removed the old tire and disposed of it. Ya' can get to me once...be a cold day in hell before ya' get me again!

Comment

I finally started reading that tonight it is good stuff I will go over it a few times soon.

Comment

Yes, that is a good article. I have done several sets of tires over the years. It is not too difficult. It will require some sweat and swearing but with what dealers charge to do tires it is well worth it. The last set I did cost me about $220. The dealer wanted $380. I also made a pretty good static balancer and bought a box of stick on weights. If anyone in the area needs to do this I'd gladly help them.

Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

joe

does the next state over count as in the area....

Comment

Phil,

Yes, Wisconsin certainly does count. If you'd like to tackle this soon and feel like making the ride we could do that. Since I doubt you'll be able to get tires before the cold weather sets in, it would be best if you take the wheels off and bring them down. If your bike has a centerstand it is pretty easy to support the front of the bike with a jackstand so you can take both wheels off at the same time. I've even used a 4x4 but that was a bit shaky. I did both of mine in an evening but it might be best to tackle it on a Saturday or Sunday so we will have plenty of time. I can't remember if your bike had spoked wheels or not. If so, you certainly have inner tubes. Even if you have cast wheels you probably have tubes. My '83 1100E had tubes. I have run tubeless tires for years with no problems. The only thing I had to do was to ream out the valve stem hole so it was big enough for a tubeless stem. I prefer tubeless tires because tube type tires will deflate very quickly (pop) if punctured while tubeless tires will deflate much more slowly and therefore are safer. I am a big fan of Metzelers, for what that's worth. But, depending on your budget (and having seen your current tires) anything will be a HUGE improvement. If I were on a tight budget I'd probably try the Cheng Shin (Maxxis) brand. I live in Lombard, which is about 22 miles due west of downtown Chicago. It is approx. 100 miles from Milwaukee.

Joe
                  IBA# 24077
                  '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                  '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                  '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Man, the last tire my brother had a dealer mount cost him $18 and that was only 1 month ago - balanced also. I was shocked it was so little. Most dealers around here wanted $30 or so.

Comment

The place I usually get my tires installed wants $10 to mount and balance if you bought the tires there and $30 if you didn't. That is if you bring in the wheels and they don't have to take them off the bike.

I think that that is pretty reasonable. I know that I pay more for tire that I buy there but I like to support the places that try to treat us fairly. I bought my last rear tire in Kennewick, Wa. It was $250 mounted and balanced for a Dunlop Elite II MU90/16, I took in the wheel. This gave me a little sticker shock; the price on the tire was $199.98 with out tax and mounting.

I had just looked at one where I usually buy tires in Albuquerque and it was $160.00 so for $170.00 I could have had it mounted and balanced.

Mike

Comment

I'll just add that the tire levers he's using aren't any good for tubed tires. They'll leave your inner tube full of snake bites unless you take a lot of time fidling with the tube. The problem is that they have fairly sharp, square, edges on them. Their length is very good though as the Dunlops being removed in the article are very tough...I put 45km on a flat rear K491(591?) this summer and I was able to maintain 50km/h+ :twisted:

Cheers, Steve

Comment

I have chnaged enough tyres in my time. When I buy them they are fitted as part of the price, which is good as well. And properly balanced, although a static balance is easy to do. I always take my wheels in.

Comment

Working...
                          X