Stripped Oil Plug Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped Oil Plug Fix

From time to time I've seen posts by people about having a stripped oil plug. I faced the same thing this past Friday. It happened just hours before I planned on leaving for our semi-annual Texas Hill Country Ride, which BTW was a blast. Well, I ran around for about an hour trying to find a quick fix. My initial thought was a heli-coil or Timesert if I could find the right size. No luck. Then I thought if I could find a nut the right size I would use some epoxy to mount it to the bottom of the pan as a temporary fix. No luck again. I finally ended up at another auto parts and found a self-tapping, oversized drain plug by Motormite. It is part number 65217, thread size M14-1.50, single oversized. It worked great. It was a little longer than the stock plug so I just used my bench grinder to grind it to the same length as the stock piece. Best of all it cost me a whopping $1.87 with tax. If anyone ever has this problem and can't find the part let me know and I'll pick one up for you.

Re: Stripped Oil Plug Fix

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
    From time to time I've seen posts by people about having a stripped oil plug. I faced the same thing this past Friday. It happened just hours before I planned on leaving for our semi-annual Texas Hill Country Ride, which BTW was a blast. Well, I ran around for about an hour trying to find a quick fix. My initial thought was a heli-coil or Timesert if I could find the right size. No luck. Then I thought if I could find a nut the right size I would use some epoxy to mount it to the bottom of the pan as a temporary fix. No luck again. I finally ended up at another auto parts and found a self-tapping, oversized drain plug by Motormite. It is part number 65217, thread size M14-1.50, single oversized. It worked great. It was a little longer than the stock plug so I just used my bench grinder to grind it to the same length as the stock piece. Best of all it cost me a whopping $1.87 with tax. If anyone ever has this problem and can't find the part let me know and I'll pick one up for you.
    that not only fixed the stripped thread problem but it does not block off the oil drain slot in the oil pan casting as did my helicoil fix. Sounds like a winner to me.

Comment

Re: Stripped Oil Plug Fix

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
      Best of all it cost me a whopping $1.87 with tax. If anyone ever has this problem and can't find the part let me know and I'll pick one up for you.
      Hey Billy, have you got a pic of that bad boy? Or a web link with a pic? I went out and spent over 60 bucks (US) on the 14 x 1.5mm helicoil spark plug kit which I used for my oil drain plug as well (sometimes I wish I could just leave that poor old bike alone) and I've never heard of an oversized drain plug before.

Slopoke's comment about oil drain channel is something I hadn't thought about either, damn you Slopoke, ha ha!

Comment

Terry almost any autoparts store in Oz will have oversize oil drain plugs for sale and generally a tap you can borrow as well.
        Dink

Comment

I use the 'piggyback' style, a bolt through the bolt, so you don't need to remove the one in the boogered up pan threads, they come in single, double AND triple oversize, for the ham-handed wrench.....

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
            I use the 'piggyback' style
            I saw those and almost went with it then I saw the one I used, sorry no picture. I'll try to find a link with one. The best part was it is self-tapping. All I had to do was grind it down to shorten it. I was in such a hurry to fix it that if I had run across the right size heli-coil kit I have done that too.

Comment

Here's a link where you can find the plug. When you get to that page click on Part Number Search. Then enter the number 65217 and it will show you what I used.

Comment

During the last oil change, I managed to strip the drain plug hole too.
                Thanks to Billy's tip it was an easy fix!
                One little additional thing, run the self-tapping plug in and out to thread the hole, before grinding down the length.

Comment

I stripped mine out a few weeks ago but I used a heli coil to fix it. I wanted to keep the original plug because it has a magnet on the end of it for some reason. I'll fix the oil drain slots sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                    During the last oil change, I managed to strip the drain plug hole too.
                    Thanks to Billy's tip it was an easy fix!
                    One little additional thing, run the self-tapping plug in and out to thread the hole, before grinding down the length.
                    Oops, I guess I should have made that clear.

Comment

I wanted to keep the original plug because it has a magnet on the end of it for some reason.
                      The magnet is there to collect any shavings or particles that may be in the oil. This keeps them out of the pump and lets you know something is making chunks the next time you change oil. Very good to keep that if you can.

Mark

Comment

Mine was stripped before I bought the bike, and somebody had then helicoiled it - but put the coil in crooked. The problem was compounded by the fact that my 4 into 1 pipe ran under the drain.

I took off the sump plate, removed the bad helicoil, filled in the plug hole with metal epoxy, and drilled a new drain hole to the front and left of the existing drain so as to clear the pipe. This was covered by a stainless steel plate (bolted to the sump plate) and a new drain hole drilled into the SS plate and the plug replaced. Done.

There is now no problem with stripping the plug as the SS plate is not only stronger but it has twice as many thread contacts as the old alloy hole.

Kim

Comment

I got excited about this post and went down to Napa to get my over size plug. Turns out they had plenty of oversize M14-1.5 plugs, but my 78 GS750 is a M14-1.25 plug. Given the difference in thread pitch, I balked at the idea and decided to check back here. Any suggestions?

thanks-
                          Jon
                          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Drain Plug Fix

Try this?

Comment

Working...
                            X