Motormite self-tapping drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motormite self-tapping drain plug

From time to time I've seen posts by people about having a stripped oil plug. I faced the same thing this past Friday. It happened just hours before I planned on leaving for our semi-annual Texas Hill Country Ride, which BTW was a blast. Well, I ran around for about an hour trying to find a quick fix. My initial thought was a heli-coil or Timesert if I could find the right size. No luck. Then I thought if I could find a nut the right size I would use some epoxy to mount it to the bottom of the pan as a temporary fix. No luck again. I finally ended up at another auto parts and found a self-tapping, oversized drain plug by Motormite. It is part number 65217, thread size M14-1.50, single oversized. It worked great. It was a little longer than the stock plug so I just used my bench grinder to grind it to the same length as the stock piece. Best of all it cost me a whopping $1.87 with tax. If anyone ever has this problem and can't find the part let me know and I'll pick one up for you.

Excellent info, one of my 850's has a stripped hole and I figured I'd have to replace the pan. You can bet I'll try this before dropping the pan. If it doesn't work, I'm only out 2 bucks. Thanks again.

Comment

Just want to thank you for this info.

I purchased my first bike ('80 GS 1100E) about a month ago. After putting a few hundred miles on it, decided to change the oil. Found that the previous owner had stripped the plug -- it was being held in with Permatex Red and that's it. No kidding - I was able to push the plug into the pan without hitting any threads.

This little item did the trick - although, I did have a very slow oil drip after I used the Motormite. I drained the almost new oil into a pan and put a small amount of Permatex Black on the bolt - no more drips!

- Tony

Comment

drain plug

I also found out the hard way about a stripped pan. I had to drain the oil to change the stator on a GS1100L that I had just bought. I couldn't find any over size metric plugs but found that a 2ond over size standard plug did the trick real fine with no drips. The good thing about this any parts store has the over size plugs for non-metric threads. Greg 8)

Comment

Working...
        X