Motorcycle Business Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle Business Trip

First, let me say that my usual ride is a 1983 GS850G, so that makes this OK.

I got to take a 2,300 mile business trip on motorcycles with one of the guys I work for. Rather than hammer my GS, we decided to rent a new Harley for the trip. I do spend a good bit of time griping about the lack of power and ground clearance.

Anyway, I carried an iBook and digital camera and updated our web site every night with a travelogue. Thought y'all might enjoy the tale:

Click on "Tales from the Road".

Here's a direct link to the Tales:
    Checkout the full domain details of Edcreative.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

I'm Brian -- the guy I'm making fun of on the yellow Harley is Blair.

Let me know what you think!
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Well, Brian, I must admit a VERY LARGE amount of prejudice. I consider ANYONE who rides without a helmet an idiot.

I got to the first page, saw the head scarf of the bike rider, NO HELMET, and I quit reading.

Glad you lived through your experiences.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I'm not the idiot -- it's the other guy!!!!!

Geez, Ron. I'm disappointed.

You could have actually bothered to read my post or the caption before warming up the flamethrower. I ALWAYS wear my helmet and protective gear.

The guy on the yellow Harley is not me -- it's the other guy, Blair. And yes, he is a flaming idiot, at least where motorcycles are concerned. And, like all idiots, he rides without a helmet whenever possible. He brought one of those stupid useless biker beanies to wear in states with helmet laws. For my part, I made fun of him and his poser-gear (usually chaps, leather vest and crash-hankie) whenever possible, but I couldn't force him to wear an actual helmet. He is my boss, after all.

I'm pictured later on wearing my yellow HJC AC-10 full-face helmet, armored Joe Rocket jacket, and Firstgear roadrace gloves. I NEVER get on two wheels without helmet, jacket, and gloves, even if it is a Harley. I was riding a rented blue-gray Road King, which you'll see in some of the later photos.

I don't know what it is about Harleys that attracts rich idiots, but I am definitely NOT one of them. In fact, I'm the only person I've ever seen riding a Harley with a real full-face helmet and real protective gear.

Believe me, if I could have found a BMW or something else to rent, I would have. As it was, I almost ended up taking my 83 GS850G. However, the company owners were more comfortable paying for the rental on a new bike than with paying me mileage to ride my GS.

My GS is in great shape, but it is 20 years old. If something were to break in the middle of nowhere, it would be better to be on a bike with a warranty. Besides, why flog your own bike when you can flog someone else's?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Great story Brian.

I'm jealous......

I wish I could go on a huge motorcycle road trip and call it work!!!

Comment

Great story Brian, i really enjoyed it,
          John.

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
            Well, Brian, I must admit a VERY LARGE amount of prejudice. I consider ANYONE who rides without a helmet an idiot.

I got to the first page, saw the head scarf of the bike rider, NO HELMET, and I quit reading.

Glad you lived through your experiences.
            Originally posted by bwringer
            Geez, Ron. I'm disappointed.

You could have actually bothered to read my post or the caption before warming up the flamethrower. I ALWAYS wear my helmet and protective gear.

The guy on the yellow Harley is not me -- it's the other guy, Blair. And yes, he is a flaming idiot, at least where motorcycles are concerned. And, like all idiots, he rides without a helmet whenever possible. He brought one of those stupid useless biker beanies to wear in states with helmet laws. For my part, I made fun of him and his poser-gear (usually chaps, leather vest and crash-hankie) whenever possible, but I couldn't force him to wear an actual helmet. He is my boss, after all.

I'm pictured later on wearing my yellow HJC AC-10 full-face helmet, armored Joe Rocket jacket, and Firstgear roadrace gloves. I NEVER get on two wheels without helmet, jacket, and gloves, even if it is a Harley. I was riding a rented blue-gray Road King, which you'll see in some of the later photos.
            Boy Ron, don't this make you feel low, flaming Brian before you learn that the helmet less rider is not him, but his boss.

Comment

Well we all make mistakes Leon, lets just forget about it
              John.

Comment

I can understand Ron's mistake. I also went to that website, and among the first pictures I see is one with that idiot boss of bwringer on the bike without a helmet and with that typical Harleyesque look. I was tempted to do the exact same thing Ron did.

I did read on to find out the facts, of which I'm glad. Ron, I don't blame you for having "turned off" when you did. I almost did myself.

Great story. Good pictures, great experience. Good for you, bwringer!

Nick

Comment

The whole thing was interesting. Your skill at making a web presentation is admirable. Thanks for the work.

Comment

In fact, I'm the only person I've ever seen riding a Harley with a real full-face helmet and real protective gear.
                    I, too can speak that sentence truthfully- I rented a Hardly(think it was a Heritage) while in Florida for work. I called ahead and found out they only had half-helmets to loan, so I brought my bright green, full face down on the plane.

Except in my mirrors, Ive never seen a full face Harley rider.

The ride was very nice. Very smooth, except when I twisted my wrist and fed large amounts of fuel and air to the jackhammer I was piloting....

Comment

Fantastic writing Brian......good pics to boot. I'll repeat what's been said before. I wish I could get paid for a trip like that.

Thanks.

Satch

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                        [q
                        Boy Ron, don't this make you feel low, flaming Brian before you learn that the helmet less rider is not him, but his boss.

No, Leon, it doesn't.

Two reasons.....

First...
                        I wasn't flaming anyone. I was merely expressing an opinion.

Second....
                        It was not difficult to figure out who was not wearing the helmet.

If, however, there was some confusion as to what I said, I apologize.

That said, Bwringer is fairly new to the GS Forum, so he did not know I flame no one.

If I have something to say that I think would make someone very uncomfortable, it is said through PM or e-mail.

As I recall, on the day I wrote that comment, I had endured a conversation with someone about helmets being an unfair imposition on motorcycle riders.

Arguments of that nature are wasted with me.

I am alive because I was wearing a good quality helmet when my head hit the pavement at 60+ MPH.

Not that I believe helmets are a panacea: I got some pretty bad leg and hip scruff-ups, as well as a face that needed rebuilding, a broken wrist, and a broken back.

Simple truth is....no helmet....no Ron.

Coincidentally, I related that experience today....but the guy I was speaking to was an intelligent rider.
                        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Thanks Brian, and Well done I must say!! 8)

Comment

Working...
                          X