S.C. Hwy 61

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S.C. Hwy 61

Hwy 61 in the Charleston S.C. area is designated as a Scenic highway.

I took a trip into Charelston today on it, and it's a nice little ride. The Live Oaks hang over the road, and in a few places almost form a "tree tunnel". It used to really be covered, but Hurricane Hugo damaged the trees quite a bit. It's come back a good deal, and is a very nice relaxing ride.

I used to ride my bike on that road back in the Hugo days. I'd never do it now. It's a very bad place for a bicycle, 2 lane, no shoulder, and cars will pass in your lane(oncoming) and come within in mm's of you. It is perfect for a Bike, and plan on making that my regular "cruise".

Check it out if your ever in "The Lowcountry".

Terry

Will do.....thanks Terry.

Satch

Comment

I lived in Summerville, SC for about 20 years. Used to drive down that road all the time.

Have a care when travelling down 61, though... some drivers seem to pay more attention to the scenery than to the road. I've witnessed lots of cars wander accross the double yellows.

Also, tourists tend to drive slower to look at the trees, the horses, the plantations and whatnot. Locals tend to get aggravated and try to pass even when they have solid yellow... mix in all the blind curves, and trouble's bound to happen. I've narrowly avoided getting creamed by some moron in my lane more times than I care to count.

Comment

Working...
      X