New clutch cable, what a difference!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New clutch cable, what a difference!

It took 22 years but my clutch cable finally gave up. It's only the second one I've had on the bike. The first one broke after 2 years.
    I always kept it lubed and properly adjusted and it was routed correctly.
    The clutch pull was pretty stiff and when I re-built the clutch (welded basket, new damper springs, plates and clutch springs) I hoped the pull would be a little easier. It did'nt change.
    Well, I put in the new cable, same routing and lubed it like I always do.
    Pulled it in and 8O ! Nice!!! It is so much easier to pull in now, you would'nt believe it. I pulled the old cable out of it's sheath and could'nt find any obvious wear. I guess over time the friction slowly increases and you never realize it.
    So if your clutch is stiff, don't be so quick to blame the clutch.
    It might just be an old $20 cable.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Been there with that one, and I didn't suspect it was the cable either. Wierd how you can overlook the simplest things :?

Comment

Plus newer cables seem to have a lot better internal sheathing..last longer and smoother.

Comment

Source of new clutch cable?

Hi, thanks for your post. I've got an '82 650G that I've been riding around the backroads of upstate NY, put a thou on it since I bought it last fall (16K) miles, picked it up for $425, had a new electronic electrical system and gel battery put in and a thorough safety going over by the mechanic. Now she needs "cosmeticizing" over the winter for next spring...and a new clutch cable...mine's so stiff my left forearm is beginning to look like Der Gubernator's (Mr. Schwarzenegger)8O

Could you tell me a good source of supply for a new cable like you describe?

Thanks a lot.

Jim

Comment

I got my new clutch cable at the Suzuki dealer. I usually prefer genuine parts.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

great, thanks!

Comment

sky where in upstate are you from?

ryan
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
              X