Tooth paste really works...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tooth paste really works...

Several months back I posted about rubbing out touch ups and scuffs with a wet paper towel and tooth paste.

I've done this with quite a few nicks on my SUV, and a few on my bike. it has worked great.

I did however have one bothersome spot right in the middle of my gas tank. I had gotten it to look pretty good, but not really gone.

I made the mistake of smothing it down with super fine steel wool. Not good. I tried to cover that up with clear enamel. Not any better.

The good news is I was abble to rub off the enamel with lots of tooth paste and a wet paper towel. Would you believe the touch up is now gone. The steel wool marks are gone as well. I cant believe tooth paste took off clear enamel, steel wool marks, and smothed out the touch up. Finnally my tank looks WAY better. I should have used more tooth paste from the start.

I have used rubbing compound, and polishing compound in the past. They are just too abrasive. Good ol white tooth paste works wonders.

You can make touch ups blend better by spraying them with lacquer thinner to get rid of the flash just before the touch fully dries.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
      You can make touch ups blend better by spraying them with lacquer thinner to get rid of the flash just before the touch fully dries.
      More information required Billy..for dummies like me
      John.

Comment

Just use a Preval sprayer with some lacquer thinner in it to get rid of the flashing that occurs when you try to touch up a spot. It will make the new paint blend with the old better.

Comment

It even works on your teeth!!!

cheers Michael

Comment

The toothpaste or the paint thinner?

Comment

somebody has been watching the fab 5 too much.

Comment

polishing paint

Hey Guys
                Yes ur toothpast works on fine scufs, but u should use a good quality GLAZING compound such Meguirars Mirror Glaze medium cut cleaner #1
                It can b used by hand or with afoam polishing pad. I use this to polish cars and bikes to a show shine topped with a good quality car wax and presto u will have a shine that looks like the paint is still wet. $ 10.00 Canadian.

Happy polishing, Best of luck, Archie

Comment

Working...
                X