repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repair

I buy a 81 gs 1100e at a garage sale for 500 dollars. I remeber this bike was a friends and ask how the current owner aquiried it, since I tried to get it from Al (friend) with no luck, he said he was going to save it for later. HE saved it for later alright, he traded it for drugs (speed) 3 times to the same dealer. The dealer traded it for a sm block chevy to the current owner.It ran and 500 bucks later it was mine.I put about 900 miles ( yea Al was *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed I had it) and it started acting funny ,stumbling at around 3500 + rpm,no power. With a manual (a must) I found I had spark ,adequet fuel delivery, adjusted the valves, compression was 110 to 125 and still no bananas. :x seeing low or a varing comp. reading I decided a top end rebuild. I pulled the head and cylinder block ,mic'd the valves and guides ,were in spec according to CLYMER. NOw everthing sat for 3 months in my garage, till I finally bought a gasket set and rings and valve springs. I finished lapping all the intake valves /seats and started the exhaust side and found a crack between a seat and the spark plug in no. 2 and 3 cyl. . ](*,) ](*,) I found a machinist who fixed the cracks for 40 bucks.I just could'nt leave it and not finish it.I put it all back together and it fired up and did the same darn thing ,no power at a higher RPM. now Al's happy.Now I can't remeber how I discovered it but it was by going through CLYMER and HAYNES manuals that it had to be the petcock!One day looking through wrecking yard for DODGE parts I found asuzuki gas tank with the petcock valve on it still.It worked 8O . the rings took awhile to seat but comp. is at 160psi.Now Al's

The faulty petcock diaphram must have been causing the #2 plug to foul. I hope you spend more time visiting and particiating in this sites activities and discussions.
    Good fix and now you have a fresh top end also.
    what state do you live in Andrew? Lots of our gang have meetings when possible.

Comment

If it gives you more trouble you can run the bike set on Prime. You'll need to remember to set it back to the On position after riding as you run the risk of flooding your oil with gasoline otherwise.

Steve

Comment

Working...
      X