Bug Story - Part Deux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug Story - Part Deux

It seems that I have become a victim, yet again, of the perennial confrontation between insect and rider. But unlike my first moth encounter, this was not long ago and far away. This was only last summer and in my front yard. True, I was riding my lawn tractor, not my bike, but the essentials of the interspecies contest were the same.

One Sunday afternoon, as I toiled under the searing summer sun performing the onerous duties of my domestic servitude (the fate of so many men, good and true), I was sneakily attacked by some unknown stinging insects. What was my transgression meriting this vicious assault on my naked knee, for I was only inoffensively mowing while modestly garbed in shorts and t-shirt? I could not tell and, although I searched diligently, nor could I identify the villainous beasts and locate their nest. I abandoned my chore with unseemly haste and fled indoors. Despite wifely ministrations to the innocent limb, my leg below the knee swelled up to prodigious proportions. Unable to determine neither the cause nor the perpetrators, I dismissed the attack as a random fly-by stinging.

After two weeks of beholding my half-mowed front lawn, shame of the neighborhood, I steeled myself to try mowing the scene of my ignominy again. Being somewhat wary of a repetition, I clad myself in long pants, long-sleeved shirt and baseball hat, despite nervously sweating in the heat like a chauvinist interloper in the ?Ladies Only? forum. All went well until??another stinging attack by unknown assailants, this time on the left shoulder and right ear. Practice makes perfect, and my pusillanimous flight into the safety of the house was swift. Swelling of the assaulted parts was equally rapid. This time my wife?s attentions were an equal mixture of mercy and mirth. Although the shoulder reacted, it was the wounded ear which provoked hilarity. This usually normal appendage ballooned majestically. However, its size was not so much the problem as the angle which swelling had forced it to adopt. Imagine, if you will, Ross Perot. Now render one of his impressive ears normal while expanding the other to even more grotesque proportions. You now see me in my parlous state.

My wife cautioned me not go out in public, regardless of need. Her reputation was at stake. Being known as the spouse of a lopsided ?Dumbo the Elephant? was not a notoriety that she relished.

As the day faded into a tranquil twilight, I emerged from the house to stalk my cowardly assailants. Secure in the knowledge that wasps, bees and such return to their nests in the evening hours, I examined the scene of the crime with a vengeful diligence. At last I found their home, in which the little swine were no doubt dozing peacefully while dreaming of more enjoyable exploits against humanity. It was an incons_picuous hole in the ground, where the lawn abutted the roots of a willow tree??a yellow jacket nest. Following Caesar?s famous pronouncement, ?I came, I saw, I??fled?, to the garage to get a couple of cans of wasp & hornet spray. ?Take a whiff of this?, says I, profligately emptying both cans down the nest?s orifice. Exhausted and triumphant, I went to bed.

Restful slumbers eluded me, however, with nagging thoughts of the hardiness of insects. Therefore, the following day I crept stealthily to within viewing distance of the nest. Not too close, mind. Just close enough to use my binoculars to search for pi$$ed-off survivors. Lo and behold, there were the little black and yellow bastards flying around as if nothing untoward had happened. It was time to run away bravely and ponder more deadly schemes.

?I shall just have to dig them out?, I reluctantly concluded. That evening, I emerged into the yard dressed appropriately. Swaddled from tip to toe, my neighbors could have been forgiven if they thought they were witnessing the ?Return of the Mummy?. Feverishly wielding my spade, I exhumed the nest. Two more quick cans of spray, and I beat a tactical retreat.

The following morning, after a cup of tea to still my trembling hands, I approached the nest again, this time with a garden hose. Plunging the hose end into the crater that had been their home, I then unloosed the deluge. ?Take that, you little bastards. Let?s see if you can swim?, says I, capering madly round the hole making breast-stroke motions. Quite what any witness might have thought while watching my antics, I cannot tell. I can only swear that no one summoned the police. I had seriously considered dowsing the buggers with gasoline first, and then incinerating them. However, I was pretty sure that a gas-powered launch of my willow tree into low orbit would attract the authorities. Nevertheless, a contemplation of plague (spray), fire and flood as an overwhelming demonstration of ?Shock and Awe? had held some appeal.

Today, this epic battleground between man and beast rests peacefully under a carpet of newly-sown grass. I can only hope that my future relations with the insect world are similarly tranquil.

Comment

I feel your pain Simon. Well actually i feel my own pain caused the cramps i have developed as i laugh and make strange sounds. That was a great bug story
      now you are the bugmaster

Comment

Originally posted by slowpokey
        I feel your pain Simon. Well actually i feel my own pain caused the cramps i have developed as i laugh and make strange sounds. That was a great bug story
        Thanks, Scotty. I anticipate with relish, any recounting of your encounter while wearing the "cool" Marlon Brando jacket.

Comment

Now, that is a story I can relate to.

A few years ago, we had a yellow-jacket nest in the middle of a hedge that sits between the lower and upper patios. (the property backs onto a hill, so we have three levels)

After finally discovering the point from whence the critters came forth, invariably using cleverly disguised flight patterns to hide their airborne trails, we were at a loss as to how to reach them. Bugspray would not work, as they were well inside the leafy area.

Skipping right along, the final decision was to pour an ounce or two of gasoline through the hedge, and over the nest, then ever so carefully, nudge the vapours into flame with the help of a primary ignition device.
          I used a propane torch.

And to be sure the effect was sufficient, I used a small pail, containing about a quart of gasoline, intended to be dribbled into place, to ensure the most effectiveness.

Contact alone will kill the little winged buggers, but the application of petroleum substances on their nests tends to annoy them and bring out their very best abilities in demonstrativeness.

The initial application of gasoline caused quite a stir, as a nominal cloud of buzzing ferocity erupted from what turned out to be a second hive below the first, so the entire volume of fluid was dumped in an arc that covered both nests and more. A frantic movement backward to escape the whining force that was now both angry and dying as it flew through the decending gasoline shower, was paused just long enough to swing the torch in the direction of the first nest.

Ah, the noontime is split with with the firey Whoosh of exploding vapours, followed by the fiercely flaring flames of late summer!

Thankfully, there had also been sufficient forethought given to ensure a garden hose was nearby.

Despite some severe pruning, and careful attention, it took a year for the hedge to recover a semblance of its former grandeur.
          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Simon,

You should never confront a superior foe with out the advantage of chain and full plate armor.

Mike

Comment

Spheksophobia. Pyromania. Geliaphobia.

It seems we have a run of psychological issues at work here. At this rate, perhaps those of us that are sane here at GS Resources ought to start a fund for psychiatric counselling with everyone contributing a dollar each.. Hmmm....then again, maybe not. Is anyoneon this site (besides me of course!) sane?

Comment

Originally posted by mdole
                Simon,

You should never confront a superior foe with out the advantage of chain and full plate armor.

Mike
                The English are already renowned for their eccentricity........mowing the lawn and combating yellow jackets in medieval battle gear hardly seems calculated to correct that impression. However, Mike, I would be both willing and grateful to call on your expert assistance should such a challenge arise once more..........or I could just coat Claude liberally in honey or jam in an attempt to lure the buggers away from me.

Originally posted by argonsagas
                Now, that is a story I can relate to.

A few years ago, we had a yellow-jacket nest in the middle of a hedge that sits between the lower and upper patios. (the property backs onto a hill, so we have three levels).......
                Many thanks, Ron. I have been wondering for several years about the proper way to barbecue wasps and their ilk..........impaling them on cocktail sticks and roasting them over glowing coals proved tedious in the extreme.

Originally posted by Elliemae
                Spheksophobia. Pyromania. Geliaphobia.

It seems we have a run of psychological issues at work here. At this rate, perhaps those of us that are sane here at GS Resources ought to start a fund for psychiatric counseling with everyone contributing a dollar each.. Hmmm....then again, maybe not. Is anyoneon this site (besides me of course!) sane?
                Elliemae, I am disappointed that you should dismiss my precarious predicament as a mere psychological condition. Perhaps, next time your dad has a yellow jacket problem, we shall request you to persuade the offenders to leave by applying a heavy dose of counseling and psychobabble. Moreover, your preposterous claims of sanity are clearly and dangerously delusional.

Simon

Comment

I think it is safe to say most of us have battled the ferocious yellow jacket. My experience cause me to jump in the pond to escape them. I dealt with them much the same way as my father, gasoline and flame. I just couldn't resist teasing the pair of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliemae
                    I think it is safe to say most of us have battled the ferocious yellow jacket. My experience cause me to jump in the pond to escape them. I dealt with them much the same way as my father, gasoline and flame. I just couldn't resist teasing the pair of you.
                    To deliberately misquote Monty Python & The Holy Grail:

"Listen. Strange women lying in ponds spraying gasoline is no
                    basis for a system of wasp eradication. Supreme extinction processes
                    result from systematic extermination, not from some farcical
                    aquatic ceremony."

BTW, I take no offense at being pilloried. It is my fate (and Claude's, more so) on the GSR.

Comment

Excellent stories guys
                      John.

Comment

Originally posted by slowpokey
                        I most definitely agree, Simon makes a most excellent "Bugmaster"

But a great story I can just picture our beloved Simon riding around and battling the bugs

Comment

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Comment

We had a nest of the samew varmin in our front door area and could not locate the source for lack of being able to get near it long enough to look. Needless to say we could no longer use our front door but it got to the point that they started getting into the house. I made a few valiant attempts to douse the front door "area" with two large cans of wasp killer I bought at the hardware store for this incident alone. It resulted in getting them very *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed and forcing loads of them into the house.

After we all had been stung a minimum of 3 times each or more for some I decided it was time to call in the strike force and we called the exterminator. they came out dressed like men ready to land on the moon and after most of the afternoon came to us with the bill and told us to call if there were any left that they had missed and they would take care of it.

The little suckers had taken advantage of some seiously sloppy masonry work. The front of our house it brick and it is the kind of red bricks that have holes through the centers of them. At both the top and the bottom of the brick wall they were left open and the exterminator said it was the worst case of yellow jacket infestation he had ever seen. There was over 50 nexts that they could count and he said depending on how well they could get down inside there could have been two or three times more in the walls. Apparently somewhere there are openings where the door and mid landing are that allow this brick wall open to the inside of the house.

They told us that there was enough enemy forces there that they could have litterally killed all of us if a frantic panic swarm had accured. I never thought of yellow jackets the same since then. I used to bravely say things like "come on you little sucker, you might sting me but I wil KILL you!" Now I know the tables could be turned and i am thankful that my children or wife were not attacked.

This was just two years ago. I have since payed a contractor to come out and close up all the openings he could find. It hasn't happened since.

Comment

Hoomgar, you have made my little skirmish seem like a picnic in comparison......over 50 nests is no laughing matter. 8O I am glad you apparently got them all. You clearly have earned the title "Supreme GSR Bug Slayer".

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X