Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn from my mistake

Yes another one.
    I was installing my outer and inner clutch baskets. I have done it a dozen times at least but this time when i torqued down the nut on the inner basket, the innet basket and the outer basked wouldnt budge a millimeter. They are as one. I took them out again and did it 2 more times with no luck. I went to jc penny because i need a vacume cleaner and on the way back i remembered that the outer basket has two notches in the back. The larger oil pump gear has 2 dogs on it that must fit into the notches on the back of the outer basket. Well its ok now because i took it out and did it again. tomorrow the whole job will be buttoned up. tonight the fibers are soaking in oil.

I'm glad it worked out for you. If it had been a torque converter for an automatic transmission you would have broken the pump. Luckily GSs are a lot tougher.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
      I'm glad it worked out for you. If it had been a torque converter for an automatic transmission you would have broken the pump. Luckily GSs are a lot tougher.

Steve
      I had torqued it to 50 ft pounds 3 times before i realized my mistake. Not a scratch or a mark on anything. Yes tough.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke

Steve
        I had torqued it to 50 ft pounds 3 times before i realized my mistake. Not a scratch or a mark on anything. Yes tough.
        Sometimes we have little guardian angels watching over us.
        I've made similar boo-boo's, just when I thought I could do something blindfolded. Glad it's OK.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I've done enough simular things working on bike that I think I could qualify for the tester on anything that is advertised as idiot proof. But then no one would hire me after I kept proving them wrong.

Mike

Comment

NONE OF US SHOULD HESITATE POSTING OUR MISTAKES.
            IT WILL HELP OTHERS TO AVOID DOING THE SAME THING. AFTER ALL, IF HAP GOT HIS MACHINE BACK TOGETHER---WELLLL

Comment

Well on that note then I will post one of my many mistakes that was bad enough that I am still regretting it today (18 years later) and always will.

I bought a leftover 82 Seca Turbo new when I turned 16 as my first vehicle. I loved that bike and was tighter with it than I was even my girlfreind at the time. Me and my Turbo went everywhere together for 2 years+ straight through spring summer winter and fall and just shortly after 2 years I had put over 38,000 miles on it and the Turbo could take no more. I was told I did good with that many miles before frying the bearings in the Turbo and that for 1,700 I could put a new one in and keep going. Well, I was young dumb and needed money, so I sold the bike which had just received all new fiber glass as a result of a rear ender I was involved in. Needless to say, short of the Turbo changer the bike was like new still.

500.00 later it was gone out of my life never to return. I want it back still today in a mean way but cannot find one that I can afford vs good condidtion worth restoring.

It is by far my worst mistake motorcycle related. If you have a bike you really love and need money or are even just in a lawl thinking you wont ride anymore. DON'T SELL IT! Make sure it is a bike your are OK with getting rid of before you do. If you do, it will hoaunt you forever.

Learn from my mistake.

Mark

Comment

Well Mark, I skipped the learning part because I still have the same bike after all these years. Just couldn't see me getting rid of it even though I was mad at it a couple of times and was tempted. Glad I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Kramilius
                  Well Mark, I skipped the learning part because I still have the same bike after all these years. Just couldn't see me getting rid of it even though I was mad at it a couple of times and was tempted. Glad I didn't.
                  Congratulations! That's what it is about
                  Not a week goes by that I don't at least think about my loss and many a time I will open a web browser and do some searching. I know someday I will find one for sale at a price I can bite at that hasn't been trashed by it's owner. Until then I look at it's picture on my wall and mumble to myself "dumb a$$"

Comment

That's a mistake I don't ever plan to make.
                    I bought my '79 GS1000E new and have 120,000 miles. I've had several people stop and talk to me at gas stations, rides, etc. They always sound genuinely sorry they let it go and many of them are looking for another.
                    I think seeing one in great condition and upgraded makes them want one even more.
                    I'm 47 now and owning something that was a part of my life at 22 is cool. When I look at my bike, I remember all the fun I've had over the years. There's no way to truly measure what my bike is worth to me.
                    What will the next 24 years bring? Will we both still be here? I don't know but I hope for the best! Hoomgar, check out my 1000 if you like at my website below.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I pulled off a pretty good mistake today. While mounting a fuse panel on my 400 I was required to drill a couple of holes under the left side cover. As luck would have it my drill bit went through the RR panel before expected and bored into my air box! As my luck was still with me the hole in my air box was on the intake side of the filter so it had to be patched up. All it took to fix the blunder was a 6mm bolt that I screwed into the unwanted hole. I guess the point of this sad story is to be sure that you don't drill through anything accidentally.

Cheers, Steve

Comment

I pulled off a pretty good mistake today. While mounting a fuse panel on my 400 I was required to drill a couple of holes under the left side cover. As luck would have it my drill bit went through the RR panel before expected and bored into my air box! As my luck was still with me the hole in my air box was on the intake side of the filter so it had to be patched up. All it took to fix the blunder was a 6mm bolt that I screwed into the unwanted hole. I guess the point of this sad story is to be sure that you don't drill through anything accidentally.

Cheers, Steve
                        maybe we should have a screw up forum as well as tips and tricks??

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                          That's a mistake I don't ever plan to make.
                          I bought my '79 GS1000E new and have 120,000 miles. I've had several people stop and talk to me at gas stations, rides, etc. They always sound genuinely sorry they let it go and many of them are looking for another.
                          I think seeing one in great condition and upgraded makes them want one even more.
                          I'm 47 now and owning something that was a part of my life at 22 is cool. When I look at my bike, I remember all the fun I've had over the years. There's no way to truly measure what my bike is worth to me.
                          What will the next 24 years bring? Will we both still be here? I don't know but I hope for the best! Hoomgar, check out my 1000 if you like at my website below.
                          Keith, I'll check it out. If you don't mind, I will include the first photo of your bike on the road in my "Friends Bikes" section of my web site with your name and anything you want to say about it on there and then a link to your web site to check out more pictures of your bike. Right now my web site has no friend pictures and I have 3 to put up so if I can get more GS friends bikes up there I would love that

My home page is still under construction but can be found here:

Comment

Hoomgar, thanks for the compliments and signing my guestbook!
                            I'm sure your bike is going to look good when you're done, and fast!
                            I did go over my budget when I restored my bike. But the bike is worth it to me and I had (maybe) a once in a lifetime opportunity to do something right, so I just did'nt scrimp on things. I also had an unusual amount of overtime that year, so spending the money did'nt bother me.
                            That's cool that you want to put my bike in your website! The first photo is analog and a little blurry and I still have those big 'ol stock turn signals on. :roll:
                            Enjoy your project and let me know if I can help you with anything.
                            Keith.

Comment

Well if we're handing them out, i was replacing my battery yesterday on an '80 400L and i accidently put the (-) end to the starter motor solenoid. Once i connected the (+) end sparks flew like no other, and the plastic coating started melting off some of the wires. Dangerous i know, stupid i know, absolutely retarded i know.....my only excuse is.......I wanted to start my GS without push starting it.

Comment

Working...
                              X