Awesome fork body cleaner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome fork body cleaner!

Someone please tell me if there are any dangers to this because so far I have found nothing but possitive results. And maybe you all already know this and I am one of these guys that just learned that we landed on the moon. But here we go.

I cleaned up my fork bodies before putting them back on my bike. I have used many cleaners over the years and have never been pleased. Some do OK and some are a waist of money. But last night it was...
    WD40 to the rescue! These things look like new except for the spots where objects have hit and nicked them. I cannot get over how easily and completely it cleaned them up.

I used bare hands, you may want to use gloves or a thin cloth but the trick is to wet them up real good with the WD40 and then spend a minute or so working it around real good to soften and loosen all the crud and stains. Tar, bugs, dirt, goo all go bye bye. Then you simply wipe it off with a clean dry cloth and they glisten like the noon day sun on new chrome!

If there are any dangers to using WD40 on this part of the bike please let me know but I was so pleased with how well this worked that I had to share it. Who would have thought it? :0

Hey Mr. Hoomgar
    Great tip, I have used WD40 for years for various tasks on bikes without any trouble. It is safe to use on electrical wireing, even on your bikes paint. I have used WD40 to remove bugs and tar from the front fender and even the front of the engine cases, front forks, headlight and the rear of the insrument panel. I use it to remove stickers from any painted surface without any difficulties. Just spray it on let it sit a few minutes and gently rub with a clean cloth ( 0000 steel wool on chrome or polished aluminum) and spray the area with more WD40 as a rinse and wipe clean with a new cloth. Happy cleaning!

Regards, Archie

Comment

WD-40 is mostly kerosene, so it is pretty safe around our bikes. It will not attack things like seals, O-rings, etc. like some other chemical cleaners. I use WD all the time to clean and lube my chain, too. It cleans the really caked on crap around the pin heads and leaves very little residue to spray off onto your bike on the first ride after you cleaned it. And it's pretty cheap, can't beat that...

Mark

Comment

This is what I was feeling. I am so glad to hear this. I have used it for years as well but always as a lubricant or as a break free type agent for rusted bolts. I never thought of using it as a cleaner.

What an excelent job it does

Comment

It works excellent for cleaning your hands of paint, glue or just plain greasy, grimy, motorcycle mechanic hands, if you don't happen to have the "good pasty stuff" handy, and is also great for cleaning paint brushes. I'm talking about brushes with month-old dried on paint that you normally would've probably just given up on.
          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Just make sure you wipe the WD-40 off the part completely. WD-40 will attract water vapor after the volatiles have evaporated. I have a buddy who sprayed down some of his rifles with it, thinking it would protect them from rusting (he was storing a bunch of them in his basement). The rifles he sprayed rusted badly. The ones he didn't spray were still OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastiff
              Just make sure you wipe the WD-40 off the part completely. WD-40 will attract water vapor after the volatiles have evaporated. I have a buddy who sprayed down some of his rifles with it, thinking it would protect them from rusting (he was storing a bunch of them in his basement). The rifles he sprayed rusted badly. The ones he didn't spray were still OK.
              I've seen that before too on some surfaces. But these are non-rusting alloy so it's kewl The trick was just getting the crud off of them.

Comment

Only comment I've got,mate....Make sure you clean the overspray off the discs(disks)....

Comment

Originally posted by micmac1
                  Only comment I've got,mate....Make sure you clean the overspray off the discs(disks)....
                  LOL yeah for sure No this was done with the bike in pieces. The discs are not even here at the house.

Comment

Originally posted by ARCHIE ANDERSON
                    It is safe to use on electrical wireing,
                    NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

DO NOT USE WD40 ON WIRING OR RUBBER

AS I POSTED ON ANOTHER THREAD

It does make a good water dispersant, at least in storage conditions. It is useless as a semi-permanant lube. A light machine oil is what you want for cycle chains

It would be ideal for carb 'rubbers' as a temporary lube except for the fact that long term use rots the 'rubbers'. It will also do the same to wiring sheath and tires in much the same was any mineral oil based product will. engine oils, gasolene, diesel etc.

You want a silicon lube, (or lithium if you happen to have it) for carb rubbers and a proprietary spray (probably silicon based) for water dispersant/mild water retardant on wiring. But then again re-designing your wiring as water resistant is much better
                    And a pretty good metal cleaner

But don't use it on your hands, being mineral oil based it is a carcinogen (a cancer-causing agent.) it may seem ok now, but wait till 30 - 40 years down the road

Comment

On days where you are having "Bad Hair Days" (You know what I am meaning), the WD-40 is great to be using to keep hair in its places.

It is just like having a spray can of Vitalis, and you are not needing to get hands all greasy and gooey!!!

Excellent product

Comment

Originally posted by GNAHT-2
                        On days where you are having "Bad Hair Days" (You know what I am meaning), the WD-40 is great to be using to keep hair in its places.

It is just like having a spray can of Vitalis, and you are not needing to get hands all greasy and gooey!!!

Excellent product
                        Talk about thread hi-jacking!

Comment

Working...
                        X