Ping-Be-Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ping-Be-Gone

My 1100 would ping in high gear @ low rpms. Keeping the revs up would prevent the problem but it still didn't seem quite right. Valve settings good, timing good, tried colder plugs, etc... The carb boots looked pretty good but I decided to change them anyhow because nothing else was helping. I was surprized to find the o-rings between the head and boots had literally disintegrated (bike only has 15K on it). New o-rings/boots and NO more pinging at any Rpm

That's right. Though sometimes the ignition timing is off, a lean mixture due to an air intake leak will cause pinging. Always apply some hi-temp bearing grease to the o-rings to help them last and don't overtorque the o-rings. 6 ft/lb torque is good. Good tip.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Hey Guys
      Please tell me what O rings are we talking about, as I have experienced much the same problem. Although only at low RPM. any help will be great.
      Regards, Archie

Comment

Originally posted by ARCHIE ANDERSON
        Hey Guys
        Please tell me what O rings are we talking about, as I have experienced much the same problem. Although only at low RPM. any help will be great.
        Regards, Archie
        The intake manifolds have an o-ring to seal between the head and themselves. The intake manifolds are between the carbs and head. If the o-ring or manifold is damaged, it will allow air to get in and you will have a lean condition that will increase the rpm's. At first, the bike will idle OK at start up, but once warmed up, the rpm's increase. If you turn down the idle, the next time you try to cold start it, the idle will be too low.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Archie, if you have a 16 valve motor you don't have these o-rings - you have rubber manifolds held on with hose clamps. You will see the same symptoms when the rubber manifolds are cracked, the clamps are not tight, or the rubber manifolds are just stretched due to age.

Do you have a 8 valve or 16 valve motor?

Hap

Comment

A sub-tip:

I traced boot leaks with silicon lube. I would spray each section I wanted to test as the bike ran. The silicon temporarily sealed pinholes and leaks, causing the bike to react appropriately.

Once I identified the leak, fixing it was easy. And bonus: the silicone blackened up the boots, and softened them back up, as they were starting to harden.

I used a non-conducting silicon spray that I use in the cables and controls.

Comment

Working...
            X