ARRRGH!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARRRGH!!!!!!

I don't think I've put a good old sob story on here since I introduced one of my carbs to the concrete floor, so I guess it's my turn again. I'll start with a lile history. When I first got the bike from my dad it had a National Cycle plexifairing 3 on it. That was close to 5 years ago. At the time I didn't like the thing and I was swapping handle bars, so it came off. Now we can fast forward to this last summer when I started noticeing a few new muscles in my shoulders after a good long ride. Now, I'm not going to say "I'm getting old" or "I feel old" because I generally don't and I'm young enough that some of you would probably flame me for saying such things. But I did notice that after riding for awhile I was letting the wind push me back a bit and loading a considerable weight on my arms and shoulders. I decided that I might like that big old windsheild on there after all.

When I took it off that short five years ago I carefully packed it into dads garage, where it slowly got moved to the back corner over the years. It's a bit dusty, but none the worse for wear except....most of the hardware is missing. I call the local dealer, they don't carry National Cycle. I call National Cycle, the kit is 60 bucks or so. the while set-up with windsheild and kit is about 160. I'm cheap. I'm not going to pay the 60 when the whole set is comparatively not much more, but I'm poor too, so it is not within my reach. I start searching e-bay, either for a hardware kit, or the whole set-up. This is back around June. I find plenty of Plexifairings, with and without hardware and the prices are getting bid up to where I might just as well buy a new one. Nothing on just kits tho'.....until 3 weeks ago.

A NOS kit comes up for e-bay, low starting bid, reasonable shipping, one bid on it already.....I snipe it in the last minute for less than 30 bucks total. I got it last thursday in the mail. Today it was 45 degrees out when I got home from work, so I stop by dad's on the way home and pull the windshield out of storage. I figure I'll get it cleaned up and I've got the rest of the winter to apply gentle and thourough elbo greese to it to get the minor scratches and such polished out. I bring it in the apartment and let it warm up while I fix dinner and then start to clean off 5 years worth of dust with some mild soap and a really soft rag. As I'm turning it around I grab one of the few remaining pieces of hardware that is still attached which happens to be one of the main mounting struts that attaches to the socket on the upper windshield......and the socket snaps. Not just seperatesing from the windshield in a nice smooth break like 20 year old epoxy sometimes does, but a mind numbing disintegrating kind of snap....part of the socket still on the windshiled, part still klinging to the mounting strut in an ugly jagged kind of break where small pieces seperate independently. Not anything that I can see an easy repair for.

So, I spent most of this year owning a halfway decent windshield with no hardware kit and now I own a brand new hardware kit and no decent windshield to mount it to. That Just Sucks!!!!

Thanks for letting me rant.

Dex;

That really does suc. you have a right to vent.
    I have a national shield on one of my bikes and it cracked while I was removing from the bars (pull the ends back while lifting it off the bars...yea right)
    Anyway... I used some industrial epoxy glue for just that application. I injected it right into the crack, it fused right up. Tight. Good fix.
    I will look up the name.
    But now..if the screen is that brittle...maybe it's best it broke now instead of while you were riding. Maybe it really doesn't pay to fix it then???

Seb

Comment

the amazing part is, the screen itself is fine, it was the socket that is glued to the back that disintegrated, leaving behind part of the socket and a big ugly lump of whatever epoxy the built it with. I actually figured out last night that the sockets from my slipstreamer fly screen ( which I have hated since the day I put it on the bike) will hold the ball end of the strut. I just need to figure out how to remove twenty year old epoxy so I can clean it up and remove the other old socket, and then carefully drill some holes for the slipstreamer type sockets. Either that, or use it as an excuse to get the Memphis Shades Roadmaster shield that I saw on line last night.
      it even comes in a blue gradient version to match my bike.

Comment

If you really want to keep that shield I'd make my own mounting bracket, CAREFULLY drill the shield to attach the brackets and get yourself a few of these http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...10101&ss=10111 and mount them on your handle bars.

Someone else makes a nice set of forks mounts that will with the above bar clamps let you make a nice 4 point mount system. Thats what I did with my Valk. If you go to page 1 or 2 in the Suzuki to Jays pics you can see how I mounted my fairing. If those clamps will hold that fairing at 110 it will hold your shield.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgByANgWsmZlL!h6qwnSc73ITA7oCjsFzg!FpOSA09dIdRXZ1 uvsNJGr5xvnHEH3dc7AOYom179Qi9xi9ngzHBzDyhvVYk1JLoP jF5IxeoWI*mH0kTkRQw/Brackets2.jpg?dc=4675413822401725238[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the advice Jay. I think I have the problem figured out. I got 99% of the old epoxy off with some carefull work with my pocket knife, and a whole lot of work with some very fine sand paper. I have the locations marked where I need to mke the whole, now if I can get Dad to loan me back my Rotozip, I shouldn't have any problem getting a nice clean hole for the scavenged parts. If it works, great. If not I'll have an excuse to part with some cash for that Memphis Shades windshield.

Comment

Re: ARRRGH!!!!!!

Originally posted by Dex
            Now we can fast forward to this last summer when I started noticeing a few new muscles in my shoulders after a good long ride. Now, I'm not going to say "I'm getting old" or "I feel old" because I generally don't and I'm young enough that some of you would probably flame me for saying such things. But I did notice that after riding for awhile I was letting the wind push me back a bit and loading a considerable weight on my arms and shoulders.
            Your avatar must be very deciving. It looks as though you're built like a brick s h i thouse! Ah well, I don't blame you, the riding position on those "bloody L" bikes is not conducive to long rides. 8)
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Kevin,

there is hardly anything on my body that is even close to the density of brick...my head maybe......

Anyway, I got the holes drilled without a hitch and ai used some old flannel with maguires # 10 AND THEN # 17 last night while I was watching a movie. Except for a couple ogf the deeper scratches, the thing looks brand new, and I might be able to get the deeper ones out witha few light passes of a buffer. Can't hardly see them now unless the light catches them at the right angle, and they won't inhibit the functionality of the windshield even if I don't get them out.

Comment

Working...
              X