Dielectric Grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dielectric Grease

This stuff sounds like a good idea as it protects wiring but it is very slippery. I've put it on my blade type fuses and now I have had to put a piece of duct tape over my fuse box so the fuses don't fall out.

I also tried it out on my spark plug caps and now they won't screw on tight. It's possible to pull the caps off accidentally now. :?

Has anybody else had this sort of problem?

Cheers, Steve

I don't think it's meant for the applications you're doing.
    I've got a mental picture of someone riding along frantically trying to keep electrical connections from slipping apart!

Comment

I use dielectric grease (No-Oxide) alot for work - mainly for batteries/DC rectifiers/grounding systems.

I wouldn't use it on spark plug caps or fuses - because, after all, it is a grease.

It's great for preventing corrosion on battery terminals/lugs, and for preventing corrosion inside of new crimp-on connectors.

Apply a small amount to the bare wire before you crimp on a connection, and inside of the connections of bullet-type couplers (the ones that snap together). Put some on your battery terminals, especially underneath the lugs. Put some on your frame ground wires to reduce grounding problems due to corrosion. Just don't put it on glass fuses that can get hot...

There's also No-Alox and CopporCote. These have metal particles in them that can actually improve elecrical contact, especially on ground wires. Be careful with the stuff, though - especially CopporCote. It will NOT wash out of clothing (trust me!).

-Q!

Comment

Working...
      X