Get twice the lifespan out of your handlebar grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get twice the lifespan out of your handlebar grips

If you notice that you've worn through the tread pattern on your grips take them off and rotate them 180 degrees before you wear right through the grip. It seams to me that the top of the throttle grips wears out very fast compared to the rest of the grips area.

Steve

Interesting idea, Steve.

Now I've got to ask - how long do your grips last, anyways? I had a GSXR for over 10 years and only wore out one set of grips on it. I never thought they wore out prematurely and just replaced them. Last summer I put 10,000km on my ZX-9 with soft gel grips on it and they show almost no wear at all. Maybe use a looser grip on the bars?

Mark

Comment

I've heard that people do the same with the foot rubbers on the pegs.
      When the front of the rubber is worn then turn them around to use the rubber on the back and get twice the life out of the rubber.
      This was told to me so I'm unsure of the facts on it.

cheers Michael

Comment

Well Mark, it looks like I can get 18,000km out of a set of grips. I'm a notorious fidgeter that never stops moving (when I'm driving) so that's probably what's done it to my grips. I've seen my friends Banshee grips and he wears right through them in a season. He weighs a deuce and a half so everything on that quad wears FAST.

Steve

Comment

I am also notorious for twisting the life out of my grips. I have no idea why? It's not like I go around riding with a death grip on them. I just manage to really wrench them up somehow though.

Comment

Hmmm white knuckle syndrome. Guess that rules out a relaxing ride for you guys! 8O

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Falke
              Hmmm white knuckle syndrome. Guess that rules out a relaxing ride for you guys! 8O
              I am sure it is related to the way I ride

Comment

Michael:
                Never! The first thing I do in the morning is a front wheel skid to test my brake line. From then on out it's WFO. Gotta ride these 400s hard if you want to get anywhere. :twisted:

Cheers, Steve

Comment

Relax the pinkies.

Comment

You can get extra life out of your gloves by switching hands when the palms wear out! :roll:
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I've never worn out a set of grips. :-) :-) But then I ride with almost open hands, a bare minimum of pressure on the grips, and a really soft throttle spring.

Earl
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have never worn out a set either. I said I twist them up. But I think that is related to the fact that my carbs use shock springs for the return springs. You have to use both hands to turn the throttle and a vise grip to hold it in place while riding.

:P

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                          Michael:
                          Never! The first thing I do in the morning is a front wheel skid to test my brake line. From then on out it's WFO. Gotta ride these 400s hard if you want to get anywhere. :twisted:

Cheers, Steve
                          Front wheel skid?? That's a surefire way to create flat spots and vibration! No wonder you're wearing out the handgrips so fast -- it must be one bucking bronco of a ride!!

Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
                          X