Plexistar 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plexistar 2

I have to give it a thumbs up at this point. Installed it last night, and took it out for a spin today. It works good. It pretty much keeps the wind off the hands, and that should help out with the cold morning rides. The place I bought it from has it for 95$ + shipping right now. Not a bad deal.

Terry

What year and model? My square headlamp/oddly-shaped instrument cluster limits my choices, so I'm still looking.

Comment

Plexistar 2

Hi,

I just put the Plexistar 2 windshield on my 1981 GS750EX -- fits the square headlight well! This unit has a cutout around the headlight, so lets some air flow (great for warm climates). I can ride at freeway speeds (and beyond) without getting beat up. The only thing is it concentrates the wind in your face, so if you were used to riding without a helmet, you might change to wearing a helmet. The quick-release hardware does allow you to quickly (30 seconds) remove the windshield though.

Here are some pics and a review of the install:

8) Brian

Comment

For many years I rode a GS850 with a Plexifairing 3. Good product, and easy to install and remove. National Cycle makes good stuff. Good looking GS750, by the way.

The only thing is it concentrates the wind in your face, so if you were used to riding without a helmet, you might change to wearing a helmet.

I would hope everyone participating in this forum is used to wearing a helmet...

Nick

Comment

Nick,

I would have preferred the Plexifairing instead of the Plexistar, but the former would not fit this bike according to the fitment chart at National Cycle... Thanks for the compliment on the bike!

Brian

Comment

Based on Brian's review and photos, I ordered one today. It's supposed to arrive on Thursday. Thanks again, Brian. Hey, my '81 1100 is black, too!

Comment

Just an update on the Plexistar 2, specific to my '80/81 GS1100E. I've ridden about 1600km, mostly highway, since the install. The top of the screen is below eye level (5' 11"), as I like it. Up to about 80kmh (50mph) the windscreen does a great job of keeping the wind off my torso and arms, without significant noise. Above 80kmh it soons get noisy. Turbulent wind comes over the top and breaks at ear level. Ear plugs on the freeway are a must! My head gets buffeted about, too, but this is less tiring than not having the windscreen at these speeds. I wish it was two inches taller. I'm going to experiment with its angle, but I'm not hopeful. I've got it set at the suggested angle (about the same as the fork tubes). I'm still glad I bought the thing.

Comment

I noticed the same thing on the 750 -- wind is blocked from body but buffets the head quite a bit. I mostly ride between 50 - 60MPH, so can live with it. The problem seems to be that one tends to sit forward a bit on the E style bike (vs the L) due to short handlebars, so head is in slipstream. Since the windshield is near fork angle, I would think that bringing nearer to vertical would take care of problem. (Changing handlebars might help also.) This would have some effect on aerodynamics/handling, so a happy compromise might be necessary. I will try this out also and post reply. This was the tallest of the windshields available for these bikes -- all others were 14"-16".

Comment

Plexistar 2

Hey Terry,
                  Where did you get that Plexistar 2 for $95? I just broke mine and will replace it but the going price is about $140.
                  Dave
                  djjensen@pobox.com

Comment

Originally posted by djjensen
                    Hey Terry,
                    Where did you get that Plexistar 2 for $95? I just broke mine and will replace it but the going price is about $140.
                    Dave
                    djjensen@pobox.com
                    Just FYI, your posting to a two year old thread in which the member your addressing is no longer a forum member.

Comment

Originally posted by djjensen
                      Hey Terry,
                      Dave
                      djjensen@pobox.com
                      MAW National Cycle Plexistar 2 has them for $99.95 + $5.00 handling + shipping. I bought a new one from them last October for $118.00 delivered. I bought my first Plexistar in June 1981 for about $81.00 delivered and had it for over 24 years before breaking it.

Comment

Working...
                      X